Another GT16 scene - preset name issue W/ AxeFx3

Justmc

I was having some issues on another post regarding getting the names/scenes onto the GT from the AxeFx3 . After receiving help on the forum I finally understood the process. It was operator error . Unfortunately I'm still having issues . When I change a preset name or scene name on the AxeFx3 it only gets updated correctly on the GT16 if I download the entire or most of the list via the setup menu. Example.... If preset # 200 has a name change and I tell the set up program to get preset / scene names for # 200 or even #180-200 if does not update name. If I tell the set up menu to start with preset # 0 -500 the name on preset # 200 gets updated correctly ? I know this sounds strange, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I was hoping to not have to download hundreds of presets names just to update an individual one. Thanks again for the support .

AxeFxIII mk 1 - Running Newest Firmware 19.0
Phantom Power Adapter - DIN7F (two inputs)
No other Midi devices connected
Newest Axe Edit ver. 1.10.06
Newest GT firmware 4.7.0
Windows 10

Last edited:
Hey there JustMC,

I'm going to do my own post about the exact same topic you're having. I seem to be a little deeper in the weeds than you. I have a good chunk more issues not going correctly on my master man GT. I also have a 16 button version, and I have followed your post closely hoping that I could get my problem fixed as well. I cannot get any other names to be read, and it seems to be hanging up on something. I've cleared every preset off my AXE FX iii and made a couple completely simple presets after resetting my whole unit and resetting my GT to factory settings. Unfortunately I just can't get much further. Also once I start customizing buttons I'm actually seeing some very strange activity going on. So at this point, I'm just trying to get my GT with no modifications to it working with the axe reading names.

I see that nobody's replied to your post yet, but just know that if I figure anything out I'll share it your way. I'm on a Mac instead of windows but that shouldn't be anything that affects what we're doing. I have the same AXE FXiii mk I as you as well as the current version editor, and GT firmware.

I look forward to both of these Rigs running smooth!

Grey Bear

AxeFxIII Mark 1 - Running Newest Firmware 19.0
Newest GT firmware 4.7.0
Mac OSX Monterey M1 MacBook Pro MAX

Hi guys, looks like a few things going on here.

If you can't get preset names to read at all, you need to check connectivity. Do other bidirectional functions work, like tuner display?

As for the other issue, that's a new one. I've never seen that happen. I'll have to update my Axe-Fx and give it a try.

Ron / Admin,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I wanted to make sure I tried to get this on the forum before writing you an email about it. Your thoughts about the other bi directional functions are a great help. The tuner display is activating the tuner on the ask affects but coming up with a? On the GT. That's letting me know that there might be an issue with the bi directional side of things. I'm going to check my settings on the GT right now. I definitely know by directional is selected on the AXE.

Another question regarding this. When I am trying to fix issues like this should I not have the GT plugged into my computer as well?

OK… Super strange. In the middle of writing this, the tuner which had been showing a ? All the sudden started recognizing my guitar and the tuner on the AXE. I've been typing away and thought that's strange the tap tempo button just started working as well. Then the blocks updated to the current state, it's almost as if the bi directional MIDI just kicked in... Could this be an AXE issue? Where it was taking a long time to write the presets and bypassed its own bi directional MIDI?

I'm going to try some other things right now but this may be resolved as I speak.

-----

Side note, thank you so much for the reply. It is the absolute number two reason I love all my RJM products. Number 1 they do what no other gear can do 10 times better, and number 2 Ron and the people at our RJM are just the best!

Saw the replies and thought I would comment on what Ron initiated. I am using the RJM DIN7F phantom power adapter and 7 pin midi cable to the GT16, bi-directional midi is enabled. My tuner on the GT16 works perfectly. Better than I anticipated :) . Did a few more test with preset names and scene names not transferring correctly as per original post. Disconnecting USB from PC, closing down editor etc.. Issue remains. Next I will revert to prior firmware 18.03 to see if it's possibly a firmware problem.

Thanks for jumping onto thread Grey Bear. Will keep you in the loop on any solutions that come to light.

Thank you Ron... If I can further help at this end please let me know. I'll post what I find reverting the firmware. Purchased a spare 7 pin cable , hopefully it arrives over the weekend .. one more troubleshooting tool as a possible issue ?

Newest GT firmware 4.7.0
Windows 10

Last edited:
OK --- Some more results .

After reverting firmware to 18.03 I am experiencing the same issues as firmware 19.0

Here are my step by step procedures .

1- Change preset or scene name for preset # 396 on AxeFx via Axe-edit and save.
2 -On GT initiate " Get Preset names with scenes enabled "
3 -Enter range of #380-420 .
4 -No change to name of preset or scene for preset # 396 on GT
-----------------------------
5- Now I change the range for get preset names to #0-500
6- Preset # 396 changes on GT to what is displayed on the AxeFx correctly.

Hope this helps somewhat..

Newest GT firmware 4.7.0
Windows 10

Last edited:
OK --- Some more results .

After reverting firmware to 18.03 I am experiencing the same issues as firmware 19.0

Here are my step by step procedures .

1- Change preset or scene name for preset # 396 on AxeFx via Axe-edit and save.
2 -On GT initiate " Get Preset names with scenes enabled "
3 -Enter range of #380-420 .
4 -No change to name of preset or scene for preset # 396 on GT
-----------------------------
5- Now I change the range for get preset names to #0-500
6- Preset # 396 changes on GT to what is displayed on the AxeFx correctly.

Hope this helps somewhat..

Newest GT firmware 4.7.0
Windows 10
Dang, that is an odd scenario. I'll go make a change on my preset on slot 396 and see how the reduced poll range effects my results. I've only ever attempted with a range starting from zero, as far as I can recall. Hopefully have some info for you shortly.
Lee

Well color me all surprised. I did exactly the same, changed the name on preset 396 and saved, and set the range for my preset name capture to 380 - 420, and started the process. When I accessed preset 396, the name was just as it was originally, even with the updated name on my AF3. This is an odd on. I went back in and reset my preset name capture to 0 - 500 and after accessing preset 396, the new name was displayed correctly on my GT22.

Lee

@rjmmusic

AF3 MK2
FW 19.00
No phantom power
Axe Edit 1.10.06
GT FW 4.7.0
Mac M1 Mini

Thanks for posting your findings Lee . Thought for sure it was some sort of operator error . I just got a new 7 pin midi cable today thinking that might be the culprit but as you can see I had the same results .

I know this is not a scenario that most people would run into . But after seeing RJM's instructional video on setting up the AF3 I saw that he only downloaded a few presets into the unit , assuming for time constraints . It put into my head that that would be an easy fast way to update after making a small preset or scene name change. Only then did I realize that something did not jive...

Hope I'm able to contribute more to the forum as my technical abilities continue to improve... your support has been very helpful. Thanks again.

Newest GT firmware 4.7.0
Windows 10

@Justmc
Mike,

I think that the most important part of these forums; assisting our fellow users. Glad to chime in and I have no doubt you’ll do the same along the way.

Honestly, I was the same mindset as you, thinking the phantom power pathway/cable might have been involved.

I wrote some programs back before retiring from my agency, and even with my team working through a ton of scenarios to ferret out errors, I still had the odd one pop up. I won’t be too surprised if this might also be the same with this preset Name scenario.

Lee

I also regularly get the ? on the tuner as well. Odd thing is, this typically only happens when I play live and not at home. haha

Hi there guys, I’m going to continue to check on my reliability with the set up. I’m going to do a full recording day at a different studio tomorrow and then a gig the next day, I actually haven’t had my MMGT outside of my own studio since Covid started. I’ve just been gigging with my other small rig. I’ll see how this goes and if I run into any tuner errors.

I really appreciate seeing all the knowledge going into this preset issue. I also ordered a new dual input phantom power box from the RGM site last night.

Cheers~

I also regularly get the ? on the tuner as well. Odd thing is, this typically only happens when I play live and not at home. haha
Is there anything different about the cables you use or how you connect them when playing live?

Nothing different. I have the BTPA rack unit panel on the back of my AXEiii and everytime I set things up, its great to just have it work….

UPDATE:

I just got out of the studio from a 8 hour session with the axe and MMGT. Damn! My client was blown away how many sounds I conjured up without any fuss.

Main studio day 1 √

I've tested Get Preset Names first with Axe-Fx firmware 17, then with 19.01. I didn't have any trouble retrieving preset names. I was editing preset 211 and downloading it by itself, or in a group of 20 presets, and changes were always downloaded correctly.

If anyone having this issue wants to send me their GT settings file, I can look into it further. Also, make sure that you have MIDI Mapping turned off in the Axe-Fx, that would definitely interfere. It would be worth trying it after quitting out of Axe-Edit just to see if it helps, but my tests were done with Axe-Edit running.

Thank you for testing at your end , unfortunately I'm still experiencing the issue . I confirmed that " PC Mapping " is OFF in the Midi/Remote setup section of the AxeFx. I don't see a setting for " Midi Mapping" I assume that is what you suggested ?

I updated firmware to 19.01 and altered the name and scene on preset 211 via Axe edit . Shutdown Axe edit and tried downloading that single preset via " Get Preset Names " with Get Scenes / ON. Nothing changed on GT . I tried again with presets 201-221 , still no change to 211 . Tried again with 0-500 , preset and scene name for 211 change on GT .

* Test were repeated with Axe edit running and with it not *

See attached GT settings file

Thank you , Mike

Attachments

• 02-02-2022.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
You have MIDI Receive Channel set to 1. Try setting it to None, that might be it.

MIDI Receive Channel should not be set to anything other than None, unless you're actually trying to control the GT with another MIDI controller or computer app. And, it should never be set to the same channel as another device, especially if that device is sending data back to the GT. I know that sounds a little contradictory, but Axe-Fx support and external control from a PC are two very different things that are handled quite differently in the GT.

Hopefully, I'm right! Otherwise, we'll dig into it further.

I have my MIDI Receive Channel set to None and have the same issue as @Justmc . Eating dinner and then I’ll shoot my setting file over for your review Ron. Thanks as always,
Lee

Changed Midi channel to None in Devices section of GT Editor . Only connected device is AxeFx . On the GT16 it now shows " ??? " for Midi Channel .

Same issue exist

Thank you for all the help

Back