Another GT16 scene - preset name issue W/ AxeFx3

FWIW, I just tested this and it works fine with my GT/22 and Axe-Fx III MkII.

- I renamed a preset on my Axe-Fx and saved it.
- I used Get Presets (with Scenes) and specified a range of one below and one above the preset.
- The GT retrieved the presets and shows the new name.

Config attached.

Attachments

• 8-2.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
FWIW, I just tested this and it works fine with my GT/22 and Axe-Fx III MkII.

- I renamed a preset on my Axe-Fx and saved it.
- I used Get Presets (with Scenes) and specified a range of one below and one above the preset.
- The GT retrieved the presets and shows the new name.

Config attached.
Thanks for checking this, it's good to know that I'm not the only one not seeing the problem. Now I just have to figure out what's different in the cases where it is happening...

Ok, here's how you set it up (on a Mac):

Mastermind MIDI Out -> MIDI In 1 on interface
Mastermind MIDI In -> MIDI Out 1 on interface
MIDI Out 2 on interface -> Axe-Fx MIDI In
MIDI In 2 on interface -> Axe-Fx MIDI Out
You can still use a phantom power box if you want - just connect the above "Mastermind" connections to the box and the box to MIDI Out as usual.

Install and run MIDI Patchbay:

Set up a patch from MIDI In 1 to MIDI Out 2 and MIDI In 2 to MIDI Out 1. This allows bidirectional communication to pass through the interface.

Install and run MIDI Monitor:

Then, edit a preset name and capture the communication as you do a Get Preset Names. You might want to turn off the Axe-Fx ports in MIDI Monitor so you don't see communication between Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit, and turn off everything in "Spy on Output to Destinations" so you don't get duplicate messages. You can also turn off MIDI Clock in the Filter section if you're seeing a lot of clock messages.

Thanks for giving this a shot! Please let me know if you have any questions.
Still waiting for my MIDI interface to arrive; due 6-9pm. lol So, thought I'd ask a couple questions as prep.
Ron, so I'll assume I will run through the Get Preset Names twice, to capture both the shortened range where we have seen this oddity, and the full range where things look correct? As I haven't messed with MIDI data capture before, any idea how large of a file is created with a range of 0-500 in Get Preset Names?

Interface arrived. I plugged it in, following your directions, and I can see chatter from the AF3 on a regular cycle. When I start the Get Preset Names I see a couple of lines of data, but there is no data flowing into the GT22. Did I need both apps, MIDI monitor AND MIDI Patchbay? I only have MIDI monitor at this point. And for info, I only see the MIDI2 IN LED flashing (besides the power LED statically lit).

I downloaded and installed MIDI Patchbay, and set it in the manner you specified. I can now see chatter on MIDI1 Out LED flashing like MIDI2 IN, but data isn't making it to the GT22, or at least it doesn't seem to recognize it, as the Get Preset Names is still waiting, even though I only set it for a three preset range. Guess I'll need some Ron guidance.

FYI, to all involved, I reseated all cables and for some nice reason, data is flowing as was intended. Lol. Hopefully this data will be of value.

Here is attempt to share data. It doesn't like the extensions. My gut says I might should add a .txt to each, so they are accepted. I know in my earlier life, we would at times change an extension, and then change it back to the original once we moved it to destination. Bit of seat of the pants here. Here we go.
Edit: Obvi it didn't allow as original.

Round two of the data

Attachments

• Full Rang 0to500 Get Preset Names GT22.zip
    106.1 KB · Views: 0
  • partial capture2 02092022.zip
    40.2 KB · Views: 1
Ok, I will have a look. Please let me know:

- Did the partial capture fail to report the correct name this time? (gotta make sure!)
- What preset number did you edit?
- What was the previous preset name, and what did you try to change it to?

Thanks for putting in this work!

Yes, it the partial failed to update. I stuck with changing preset #396. The partial was #395-#397. I changed from Blank 2nd empty Test to Blank 3rd 3 empty Test. On this last iteration I added a Scene Name : Test 3 02092022
Let me know if you need another me to make another pass at capturing the MIDI, as I think I can make it happen fairly quickly, now that over worked my way through.

One thing to check - when you do the partial capture, does the name end up in the wrong place? Can you scan through all presets and see if the wrong preset gets overwritten by the new name? If it happened, I would guess that it would be off by a multiple of 128 presets, in either direction. Just a theory...

Ron - This video file hopefully shows me renaming Preset # 211 . Retrieving Presets 210-215 on GT and no name change occurring on GT . From what I can see no other presets are renamed in multiples of 128 .

1644550887277.jpeg
I stand corrected .. It moved around some of the presets on the GT .. #0 is now " yes Quarter" and #10 is " No Quarter . I am totally confused now. Seems like a bunch of presets were moved on GT. They are accurate on the AF3

This showed up on Editor after I did " Read Settings From Device " It mirrors what's on GT also.

1644552010384.jpeg
If I retrieve Presets 0-500 all goes normal . Name on Preset #211 changes from " No Quarter " to " yes Quarter "

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 3
I just tried another time with a partial range (#395-#397), around the renamed preset #396. I found the name from this partial, at preset #2. While both preset #1 & #3 were both empty (should have name). And I found the name I used, on the partial attempt before what I reported above, that ended up in preset #393 (so shifted three slots from #396). Hope some of this helps.
Lee

Edited: Trying to make the info more clear.

Last edited:
I just tried another time with a partial range (#395-#397), around the renamed preset #396. I found the name from this partial, at preset #2. While both preset #1 & #3 were both empty (should have name). And I found the name I used, on the partial attempt before what I reported above, that ended up in preset #393 (so shifted three slots from #396). Hope some of this helps.
Lee

Edited: Trying to make the info more clear.

Very interesting. If you do the same range again, does it do the same thing, dumping the preset names in presets 1-3? And, when enter setup to start the Get Preset Names process, are you on one of those presets (395-397), or are you on a completely different preset?

This looks like a pattern is starting to show itself. I wonder if the missing preset names are always getting dumped into the first preset locations.
Not sure what additional simulations I can reenact.

As you can see in the photo's, when a partial retrieve is done not only is the modified preset brought to the front of the list but dozens of other presets in the beginning of the list get altered also. The second photo shows all the factory presets that get restored to their correct slots when a 0-500 retrieve is initiated . None have been altered by me. Can't confirm if only a retrieval of presets 0-500 corrects this issue or whether some other random configuration does the same. I just stick to 0-500 since it consistently does not give any errors .

Please let me know if you want me to conduct any further test.

Back