Another GT16 scene - preset name issue W/ AxeFx3

View attachment 2328
I stand corrected .. It moved around some of the presets on the GT .. #0 is now " yes Quarter" and #10 is " No Quarter . I am totally confused now. Seems like a bunch of presets were moved on GT. They are accurate on the AF3

This showed up on Editor after I did " Read Settings From Device " It mirrors what's on GT also.
What range of presets were you trying to retrieve when this happened?

Edit: and, with all of those presets that were incorrectly dumped on preset 0 and above, where did those names come from? Were they all taken from a sequential block of presets starting at a higher number?

Last edited:
What range of presets were you trying to retrieve when this happened?

Edit: and, with all of those presets that were incorrectly dumped on preset 0 and above, where did those names come from? Were they all taken from a sequential block of presets starting at a higher number?
From my post # 54 -
"Ron - This video file hopefully shows me renaming Preset # 211 . Retrieving Presets 210-215 on GT and no name change occurring on GT ."

Will try it again and get more info on changes

Ron ,
Just repeated test again .

1- Factory preset # 211 ( No Quarter ) was renamed to ( yes Quarter ) and saved to AFX3 .

2- Executed a partial retrieval of #'s 210- 215 .

3- From what I can see #1 slot has new saved preset and # 211 kept old . Various presets names were also manipulated to other locations.

Please see attached screen shots from GT editor . First folder contains screenshots of preset list prior to test . Second folder contains screenshots after partial retrieval . Total included presets listed are 0-514 . Wish I could have figured out a more descriptive means.

Hope this helps with your trouble-shooting.

Attachments

• Before Partial Recall of # 210-215.zip
    414.7 KB · Views: 1
  • After Partial Recall of # 210-215.zip
    414.6 KB · Views: 1
Great, thanks for that! It still seems consistent with the pattern that's emerging. The preset names for 210-215 are stored to presets 0-5, with the new name for preset 211 stored in preset 1. Everything else seems to be unchanged from before the Get Preset Names.

@rjmmusic
I just performed the same Get Preset Names, with the same range 395-397. Just before the starting the process, I chose an unrelated preset #39 on my AF3, to test whether the results varied at all. I believe I had my AF3 on a preset in the 200's last night while running the small range process. My results just now, were the same as what I presented last night. #1 empty, #2 Then (new name), #3 empty

Let me know if you need a different test.
Lee

@rjmmusic
I just performed the same Get Preset Names, with the same range 395-397. Just before the starting the process, I chose an unrelated preset #39 on my AF3, to test whether the results varied at all. I believe I had my AF3 on a preset in the 200's last night while running the small range process. My results just now, were the same as what I presented last night. #1 empty, #2 Then (new name), #3 empty

Let me know if you need a different test.
Lee
What did you set Dest Preset to when doing this test?

I believe I remember seeing that set to 1. I just looked through the editor and didn't see it. Is that only on the hardware?

I just noticed the results that are also changed, #398, #400, #402 each have a truncated name compared to what is actually listed in my AF3. I'm going to try a different range, to see what results we get and may extrapolate.

I did another partial range, 393 - 397, and now #1 empty, #2 empty, #3 empty, #4 Again (new name), #5 empty

Still have Dest Preset set to 1

@rjmmusic

I just performed another partial range, 395-399, and now #1 empty, #2 Yes (new name), #3 empty, #4 LT HR50+ (was originally in slot 398), #5 empty. I ran a "full range" 1-500, to align the info in the AF3 and the GT22, but it stopped at 387 for unknown reasons. I think I may have accidentally clicked on AxeEdit while the process ran, which may have disrupted the stream. I tried a second time 1-500 (and kept my hands to myself) and the data in the GT22 was aligned. Then I ran one more of the same partial range 395-399, to see if I would receive the same results, with NO changes to names or other data on my AF3. I obtained the same results as I did after a preset name change. So, it seems the naming aspect may have been superfluous to creating the inconsistencies we have experienced.

EDIT: I also ran the same 395-399 range, with Dest Preset set to 15, and as expected, now #15 empty, #16 Yes, #17 empty, #18 LT HR50+, #19 empty, so the same results shifted higher by 14 slots.

Mike,
Do you want to run a similar test (hope I didn't miss that you already did), to confirm what I am seeing?

Lee

Last edited:
@rjmmusic

Could this mean the process is working as intended, and I just didn't understand the need to adjust Dest Preset to the lowest number of the range I wish to process? I ran the partial process yet again 395-399 and set Dest Preset to 395. All looked good. Thoughts?

Lee

@rjmmusic

I just performed another partial range, 395-399, and now #1 empty, #2 Yes (new name), #3 empty, #4 LT HR50+ (was originally in slot 398), #5 empty. I ran a "full range" 1-500, to align the info in the AF3 and the GT22, but it stopped at 387 for unknown reasons. I think I may have accidentally clicked on AxeEdit while the process ran, which may have disrupted the stream. I tried a second time 1-500 (and kept my hands to myself) and the data in the GT22 was aligned. Then I ran one more of the same partial range 395-399, to see if I would receive the same results, with NO changes to names or other data on my AF3. I obtained the same results as I did after a preset name change. So, it seems the naming aspect may have been superfluous to creating the inconsistencies we have experienced.

EDIT: I also ran the same 395-399 range, with Dest Preset set to 15, and as expected, now #15 empty, #16 Yes, #17 empty, #18 LT HR50+, #19 empty, so the same results shifted higher by 14 slots.

Mike,
Do you want to run a similar test (hope I didn't miss that you already did), to confirm what I am seeing?

Lee
OMG - I did what you suggested Lee and it apparently worked. I renamed preset # 211 on AF3 , set up on GT to receive presets 210-215 and set destination to #210 . Name changed on GT and it appears to be working as designed . All other presets remained where originally located. Is that how it's supposed to work ? I assumed that the "Destination Preset" option was if you wanted to move it to a different location ?

What do they say .... RTFM . Page 11 of the manual describes the Destination feature, and it does appear to be how it's designed to work.o_O

Last edited:
What do they say .... RTFM . Page 11 of the manual describes the Destination feature, and it does appear to be how it's designed to work.o_O
I was afraid of that, after I had my epiphany. I’ve been looking and couldn’t find my dang manual.

The GT copies Start Preset # on the Axe-Fx to Dest Preset # on the GT, and then counts up one preset at a time from there. So, if you want the GT's preset list to always be the same as the Axe-Fx's, make sure that Dest Preset is the same as Start Preset each time you start the process.

BTW, preset name limits are shorter on the GT than the Axe-Fx, so long names will get trimmed.

You guys had me going for a while there! I'm glad the solution didn't require a dive into the murky depths of the Axe-Fx handling code.

You guys had me going for a while there! I'm glad the solution didn't require a dive into the murky depths of the Axe-Fx handling code.
Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I’m glad we didn’t send you into those depths.
Cheers
Lee

Back