Bypass Setup with Axe-FX III Channels

jbguitar44

First post here, but longtime RJM user (MMGT22, PBC/10, PBC/6X).

I’ve recently set up my MMGT22 to control the Axe-FX III, and it’s working great.

However, there’s something I’d like to do with block channel selection that I can’t seem to figure out.

In lieu of using an IA Cycle menu for channel selection, I’d like to treat the channels as individual effects, with interactive on/off control on each.

The Fractal FC-6/FC-12 has a function that does this called “Smart Bypass.” This is paraphrased from their manual:

When you turn Smart Bypass on, it allows Channel switches to engage or bypass an effect. Activating the Channel Select switch for an effect channel which is already active will BYPASS the effect. Activating the Channel Select switch for an effect channel which is already bypassed will ENGAGE the effect. This allows you to set up separate switches for different channels without the need for a separate “Bypass” Switch.

I’ve had success setting up a bypass switch and four channels across five switches. Over four switches, I’ve tried integrating the on/off command with channels via grouping, but I can’t get it to work (predictably, all turn on/off when pushing any switch). I’ve tried adjusting the global Button Group settings too.

Is this currently possible with the MMGT? Or am I doing something wrong?

BTW, I’m running the latest MMGT firmware (v4.5.0).

Thanks.

Jim

Put a channel select CC action on each of the buttons. The Off value should be None for each of these actions.

In the group settings, add a group action that sends the same CC with values off:0 and on:127 to bypass and enable the block. Turn on "Allow all buttons off" and turn off "Send off messages".

You may also have to turn on Direct Send in the Devices tab for the Axe-Fx.

Hi Ron.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I set things up as you outlined. Your suggestion of turning on Direct Send in the Devices tab was necessary.

I’ve now gotten it to work for the most part, but I’ve been experiencing some random odd behaviors. Sometimes it takes an extra press or two on a channel switch for the Axe-FX III block to respond. Or sometimes the Axe-FX III responds, but the MMGT switch status color won’t change. And sometimes both behaviors happen.

On another row in the MMGT, I’ve also set up another group (with four switches) to control a different block, and I’m experiencing the same issues.

Are there some other settings I might be missing?

On another note, could it be a MIDI cable issue? They seem to be working fine, as I haven't had any communication issues with the standard Axe-FX III/MMGT setup. But I did have a little problem recalling scene names on the first go; it took a second try to get them transferred.

JB —

FWIW, I’ve had my GT-16 hang when trying to recall presets w/scenes — it will just stop on a random preset. Subsequent attempts worked fine. Cables are ones I made with Canare wire and Neutrik connectors — and I’m an Old SoundMan who remembers how to solder beautifully... ;)

“Recall Presets” has been sort of a “hit or miss” process from Day One with my AFX3 (AFX2 didn’t have this issue) and I’ve yet to figure out why since it’s intermittent AND not really a Big Deal for me. Like most thing MIDI, I just assume that it’s a lot of data to transfer and MIDI pretty much sucks as a comm protocol anyway.

Cheers,
Bruce

Groups and Axe-Fx bidirectional communication probably aren't going to work well together. If you're using a group, you probably need to turn on Update on Preset Change on those buttons, which will prevent those buttons from getting updated from the Axe-Fx. The button states will override effect block state in the Axe-Fx.

If reading preset names is stopping in the middle of the process, a MIDI message is getting lost somewhere. This generally seems to work for people, so I have to wonder if there's something off about your MIDI port on the GT or the Axe-Fx. Using a MIDI monitor to capture MIDI data from the Axe-Fx's MIDI thru port might result in some useful data.

The “get preset” hang is only occasional and not annoying enough to merit chasing at the moment. If my Pandemic Boredom Meter starts to peg I’ll let you know... unless, of course, it’s something I can do for you (for a change!).
Cheers,
Bruce

Back