Device PC-/PC+ question

ekkomouse

I am setting up a custom page to scroll presets on 6 midi devices and have show button names enabled. Timeline, Mobius, BigSky, H9, Reflex Expression and Infinity Looper are the devices, all are setup the same with the device and led color as the only changes. On the H9 and Reflex the Device PC-/+ buttons work great. On the 3 Strymon pedals, the buttons are not acting as expected.

On the timeline, it shows 1/1 when pressing device pc+ for ten presets then 1/2 for the next ten and so on, on device pc- it just shows 1 or 0 continually. Also it doesnt appear to stop at the end of the presets for each pedal, meaning when I advance to the end of the preset list the pedal stops changing and stays on the last preset, the pbc keeps going though and if I overshoot the last preset by a few button presses, I then have to press device pc- a few presses til it reduces the pc number down.

This is the same for the other two strymon pedals.

On the infinity looper, when selecting the device and then using the hold function of two of the buttons to change the presets, the pedal doesn't seem to respond but the pbc says its increased/decreased the preset. Midi channel is correct on device and pbc for the looper.

Is there a way to do the following:
1. Define for the pcb the number of presets per device, this comes in handy not just for strymon but all midi devices moving forward.
2. When the pbc reaches the end of the number of pc changes for presets, it either stops and displays a message or scrolls back around to number 1. For instance 200 presets would scroll to preset 1 at 201.
3. Update the display correctly to show which bank and pc number is being sent? Currently Im lost on the strymon pedals regarding where I am.
4. Add a bypass and Dont care pc/cc to the scrolling list so that we can save that for the state of each pedal. This way you can bypass it on a preset but still have the same preset setting, or don't care would allow you to come from another preset into that device would do what it was doing before the pbc switched presets. This is similar to how my old Disaster Area DPC-8d worked.
5. How do I configure the infinity looper device to react to pc-/+ buttons so that I can recall a preset.

On a side note, if I set it up this way, my hope is that I can select the configuration from each pedal from one page and then if desired, save the state of each pedal to a preset using the IA save function that I still have setup in the corner as a hold function of the loops button. Thanks!

Can you send me a copy of your settings? I set up a test file with a Timeline device and device +/- buttons and didn't get the results you've reported.

1). You can define the number of presets per device - there's a Max PC and Max Bank setting on the Devices page.
2). When the limits are set as above, the PC and bank number will wrap around at the limits
3). The Show Button Names setting on the Globals page will show the name and associated data when you press a button. On the Device PC +/- buttons, it will show the button name and the current PC and bank
4). Which scrolling list are you referring to? In the Presets page of the editor, you uncheck the checkbox in the PC editing box to tell it "don't care". When selecting device PCs on the PBC itself, you can press Mute, which will set the PC and Bank to "None", which is the same as don't care. We don't have a PC setting for "Bypass" because that's not done with a PC, but rather a CC message. On the PBC, you would create an IA button that controls the bypass state of the pedal, and you can program that button to be turned on or off for each preset.
5). The Infinity Looper doesn't accept PC messages, so it can't be controlled by device pc buttons

As of firmware 2.0.2, holding IA store will store the currently selected device PC numbers to the current preset, in addition to storing button on/off states.

Please send those settings so I can have a look, and let me know if you have any other questions!

Ok, thanks for the reply, I've sent it to you. On my questions, here is what I am thinking is going on:

1. For the strymon pedals, I haven't changed the settings from what is loaded by default when selecting the device. Each one loads with the same settings, bank is MSB, 128 max pc, 1 max bank. I suspect this isn't correct maybe?
2. Probably will correct itself when I get it set right from #1.
3. The show button names show the bank and part of the program change but isn't showing the full number when you get past two digits.
4. I meant the displayed bank and program change from #3. Just thought it would be good to have it in the same area as the device pc-/+, instead of having to go to the editor or preset page to change it to don't care.
5. The infinity looper application has a setting that says it accepts program changes for presets. Also they list it in their blog: http://www.pigtronix.com/2014/09/infinity-build-143-new-features-and-midi-bug-fixes/
Also they allude to it in the manual: Page 44 - "Sending a MIDI Song Select command will change preset banks, in order to move between different loops during performance. Allow up to 4 seconds for song select changes to take effect."
I was trying to use a secondary hold function for the preset change on the infinity, not sure if this is an issue, you'll see on the settings.

Regarding the banks from 1, I found this from the manuals:

Timeline and mobius have 100 banks of 2, my max bank is 1, mac pc is 128:
"To access presets 0-127 via MIDI, send program change messages as shown above. To access 128 to 199, first send a MIDI Patch Bank message (CC# 0) with a value of 1, then the program change message. To switch back to a preset from 0 to 127, send CC #0 with a value of 0, then the program change message."

Big Sky, has 100 banks of 3, My max bank is 1, my max pc is 128:
"To access presets 0-127 via MIDI, send regular program change messages as shown above.
To access 128 to 255, first send a MIDI Patch Bank message (CC# 0) with a value of 1, then the program change message.
To access 256 to 299, send MIDI Patch Bank message (CC# 0) with a value of 2, then the program change message."

The Timeline and Mobius settings are correct. MIDI banks are numbered starting at 0, so Max Bank = 1 means that there are two banks, 0 and 1. The Big Sky needs to be corrected - it should have max bank of 2.

I figured out the problem with the bank/pc display - your button name is too long. Button names have a 16 character limit, and the PC and bank display has to fit within that limit. If you change "Timeline Down" to something like "Timeline -" or "TL Down", there will be enough room to display the PC and bank. In the future, I can probably figure out a way to get around this limit, but for now, use this workaround.

I see what you mean now about the Device PC -/+ buttons being able to select "don't care" or "bypass". I'll look into that as a possibility.

Interesting about the PCs for the Infinity Looper - they don't mention that in the online manual. To enable PCs, all you have to do is turn on the "Send PCs" checkbox for the Infinity Looper device in the Devices tab.

Hey Ron - is there a PC or CC command number that you can share for the Device +/- settings on the PBC so I can scroll through my Strymon Presets? I'm trying to mimic it on a couple of other MIDI devices I also have on my board and it's a headache! Thank you!

Hey Ron - is there a PC or CC command number that you can share for the Device +/- settings on the PBC so I can scroll through my Strymon Presets? I'm trying to mimic it on a couple of other MIDI devices I also have on my board and it's a headache! Thank you!
Device PC-/+ should work on any device that accepts PC messages, just make sure that the buttons are set to communicate your Strymon pedal.

Sorry I have several MIDI controllers on my board including the PBC. Just for expansion of versatility. So I was wondering if there is a set of PC numbers that I can send from my other devices to mimic the Device PC-/+ function on the PBC. Does that make sense? I can't seem to figure it out

Sorry I have several MIDI controllers on my board including the PBC. Just for expansion of versatility. So I was wondering if there is a set of PC numbers that I can send from my other devices to mimic the Device PC-/+ function on the PBC. Does that make sense? I can't seem to figure it out
I see what you mean now. There is no standard way to perform that kind of function. Device PC-/+ is a function of the PBC's own firmware that works with any device that receives PCs.

Some pedals do have CCs that you can use perform a preset up / preset down function, but not many. The Eventide H9 is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but there are probably others.

Back