Help / advice on the easiest way to program Strymon & other pedals

fusionpete

Looking for some advice.

I have both the PBC 10 and 6x on different boards (currently building).

On the 10, I have a Strymon Iridium and on the 6x, a Strymon Volante and Jet Revelation.

All these pedals save their presets on receiving a midi pc change defining the program number where you want to assign each preset. The Strymons also have presets split into 3 banks as these exceed the normal midi numbering, so that means a Bank Select cc message has to be used when using banks 1 & 2. 0 is the default and I doubt I will reach 127 presets, but it would be handy to have this also catered for.

As I will be making presets, I’m looking for advice as to the best / easiest way to do this and then to save via the PBC.

I was thinking I might need separate button pages per pedal with a midi message to enable the pedal, but how can I deal with saving the preset and sending an appropriate midi pc number each time. I think I can assign a button to load, but this means manually changing the pc number each time. I hope there is an easier way & I’m sure others here have done this, so I’d appreciate any advice.

Thanks

I’d be tempted to create a special settings file just to set the presets on your midi devices. If you used a separate PBC preset for each preset on each device, then the special settings file could effectively contain a brief description (eg “dot 8 delay”) of what each preset does for each device. When the new Nixie app arrives, you’ll be able to use that as a library for managing presets on the Strymons, I guess, as well. I’d be tempted to set the global settings (in this special PBC settings file) so that a second press on the PBC preset button resends the preset so that you can press the preset button to select the preset on the pbc, turn the knobs on eg the Volante and then press the preset button again to send the midi bank and program number (that you have already chosen and added to the PBC preset).

I’ve started using separate settings files for each band I am in as well, although of course that is not necessary.

Last edited:
I’d be tempted to create a special settings file just to set the presets on your midi devices. If you used a separate PBC preset for each preset on each device, then the special settings file could effectively contain a brief description (eg “dot 8 delay”) of what each preset does for each device. When the new Nixie app arrives, you’ll be able to use that as a library for managing presets on the Strymons, I guess, as well.

I’ve started using separate settings files for each band I am in as well, although of course that is not necessary.
Thank you for your advice. I have kind of done something along those lines (with the aid of Ron), setting up separate pages for each pedal. I also have the PBC10 with a lot of things going on with a similar setup, but it has been out of my hands for over 2 ½ years, so my memory is very rusty. That doesn't work in exactly the same way as there are more buttons to use, but many things are similar with the 6x. I also set up a very comprehensive spreadsheet for everything and I have separate tabs per pedal, rack unit, amp and band with all the settings noted. Separate tabs per band is a great Idea and I had to do the same thing. That is the only way to know what is doing what, especially with midi enabled pedals or rack gear. For some non midi pedals, I took photos and copied those into my spreadsheet or noted the 'clock' positions I set on the pedals. I'm also waiting for Strymon to release their update for Nixie as Ventura is not supported. I spoke with them and they are working on a better version which will work with Ventura. Hopefully, this will include an editor for their other midi pedals. I have the usual Stryfecta, but split between boards and have their Iridium on the big board. The Volante is going on the smaller one, so I hope their V2 Nixie, will include all of the hidden functions, so everything can be seen on one editor screen. Thanks once again for your advice, which is appreciated

Back