Lexicon PCM81 Reverb is driving me nuts!

wire_twerp

I cannot explain unusual behaviour with this device. I'm using it in conjunction with a Fractal FM3 and the connections (all new, handmade pro cables) are routed via a Kenton 5 way splitter.

The FM3 is device 1 and the Lexicon is device 2; they are allocated to corresponding MIDI channels. I have set up the device TABS as recommended on the forum. My problem is that when I change FM3 presets using the PBC (or change scenes when in Song mode), the presets are also changed on the Lexicon!

I have the correct settings on the Lexicon on the MIDI control page, the receive channel is set to 2. I am using it in parallel with an RME UCX for audio but this should have no impact as they are not MIDI connected.

There are no Lexicon PC commands set up on my Presets tab on the Mastermind Editor so I would have expected that no PC commands should be sent to the Lexicon - yet they clearly are. However I set up the Lexicon device page I get the same behaviour. This is a real problem because the Lexicon takes almost two seconds to change presets. Although the signal is not muted I just get dry signal and it would not work in gigs.

I am almost at the point of ditching the Lexicon as I cannot work with it in at the moment and it would be a disaster live. The PBC works fine with the FM3 and my pedals and amp.

I would value any help, explanation, insight or potential workarounds.

The old Lexicons seem to give pretty much everyone trouble, at least the people I've spoken to. If the Lexicon has an "Omni" setting, make sure it's turned off. If it has it, and it's turned on, it will respond to commands on all MIDI channels.

The best thing to do is to use a PC with a MIDI interface and MIDI monitor software to view what's coming out of the PBC. That will tell you if it's your PBC configuration or the PCM81 that's causing the problem.

Hi Ron
I've checked out my system using an ESI interface and MidiView software. I've attached a screenshot which shows me changing presets. The only data being outputted is from the PBC. My Lexicon is on channel 6 and the FM3 on channel 1.

As far as I can see the PBC is transmitting data to both the FM3 and the Lexicon. Is this interpretation correct? Is there anything I can do?

I've tried uploading my settings file but the system keeps telling me the file is empty.

See also next post...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 17.30.37.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 17.30.37.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Another thing I tried was to un-synchronise the MIDI channels between the PBC and the Lexicon to see if the Lexicon was reading/responding to multiple MIDI channels.

It isn't.

Ok, there must be something somewhere in your settings that's programmed to send PCs on channel 1. If you can't find it, send me your settings file and I can have a look.

Hi Ron I've submitted a support ticket with a file copy of my current settings - hope this is the right thing to do.

I've also done a deep clean with the utility file, rolled back the firmware, but none of these measures have helped.

I've also created several dummy MIDI devices from the PBC list and the PBC does not send data when unchecked.

There seems to be a problem on the presets page - when I create a MIDI device, it usually shows up as a labelled box within the PC commands section, with a smaller box that is checked, with PC and Bank select numbers as appropriate. Removing the check mark from the smaller box stops transmission.

However, with the Lexicon, the big box shows up but the smaller box is NOT checked, suggesting that there should be no messages transmitted. There seems to be some critical problem here that I can't get a handle on - is it some interaction of the FM3 code with the Lexicon code?

Back