MASTERMIND GT FIRMWARE 3.3.1

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Firmware 3.3.1 is now available. This one adds some new features and a couple of new devices
  • Added support for Chase Bliss pedals and Mesa JP2C
  • Added Auto Tap - this allows the GT to automatically send tempo taps as MIDI messages to pedals that support them. Each time the tempo changes due to a preset change, new taps will be sent. The number of taps can be configured, as can the messages that are sent.
  • System Page and Preset actions now have special values available - "Up", "Down", "Previous" and (in the case of Preset) "Global". These allow you to switch up one preset or page, down one preset or page, switch to the previously selected preset or page, or switch to the global preset.
  • Groups can now have their own actions. This only works when "Allow All Buttons Off" is turned on for a group. The actions are run when you switch from having no buttons on in the group to having one button on, and vice-versa. An example of using this is to have a group of buttons selecting presets on a pedal. When any of the preset buttons are on, you can use the group actions to enable the pedal. When all of the preset buttons are off, the group action can bypass the pedal.
  • Hold functions can now have their own colors. You can specify colors for all combinations of normal function on/off and hold function on/off states.
  • "Direct Send" setting for devices switches off all of the duplicate message filtering and other tricks the GT does to try to reduce the amount of MIDI messages sent. One side effect of that filtering is that CC messages will not necessarily be sent in the order you specify in the action list. Turning on Direct Send disables all message filtering, and messages will be sent in the order specified.
  • New settings for "Preset 2nd Press" option: "Same" means that pressing a preset button a second time keeps you on the same preset and does nothing. "Reload" means that pressing a preset button a second time will keep you on the same preset, but will reload the preset, resetting the state of IA buttons and device PCs to whatever was stored in the preset.
  • Added support for real-time looper status messages from the Axe-Fx II and newer models. This updates the looper play, record once, etc. buttons to accurately reflect what's going on in the Axe's looper.
  • You can now choose a macro to run when the GT starts.
  • Added a setting to display or not display tempo in the main display when the tempo changes.
  • Removed "Off" value settings when editing Preset Actions - they didn't have any effect anyway.
  • Various bug fixes

UPDATE 8/29/16 - Version 3.3.1
This update adds the following changes:
  • Fixes the case where a button's normal function is disabled, and the hold function is enabled. You can now access the hold function.
  • Fixes issues with 0.0 tempos being displayed in tempo buttons.
  • Fixes an issue that prevented preset buttons from displaying the correct presets when Init Last Preset is turned on.
  • You can now specify a preset or song tempo of "0.1" to tell the GT to keep the same tempo when switching to that song or preset. This will be given a more user-friendly special value name "Same" in the next major release, but I didn't want to hold up this feature waiting for an editor update.
Update Instructions:

1). BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS!!! If you have to go back to 3.2, your GT will factory reset.

2). Download and unzip the firmware file below, then copy it to a USB flash drive. Be sure to select the "Eject" option on your PC to make sure that the drive is in the right state before pulling it from your computer.

3). Power up the GT while holding the two black buttons under the screen. Wait until the "Mastermind GT Bootloader" screen shows up, then plug in the flash drive. It should run the update at that point, which takes less than a minute.

Note: the first time the GT boots up after the update, it will need to convert your settings to 3.3 format. It will take a few minutes to do this, so be patient and let it finish!

Here are the files:

Firmware: http://www.rjmmusic.com/downloads/MMGT331.zip
Manual: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/Masterm ... al-3.3.pdf
Mac Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MMGTEditor-3.3.0.dmg
PC Editor: http://www.rjmmusic.com/software/MMGTEditor-3.3.0.zip

An online manual for the editor can be found here: http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki/
The PDF version is here: http://www.rjmmusic.com/manuals/Mastermind Editor Manual.pdf

Last edited:
Upgrade went fine for me. The banking bug I was experiencing is now gone and being able to set colors for the Hold functions is great. Even greater is Direct Send! I had configured a set of buttons on my GT to instantly switch between Amp1 X, Amp1 Y, Amp2 X and Amp2 Y. On the previous firmware it worked, but because the actions weren't processed in the order they were entered in the buttons, when I would switch from, say, Amp2 X to Amp1 Y, I might get a tiny blip of noise from Amp1 X because the Amp change was processed before the X/Y change. I had assumed it was Axe FX related and didn't worry about it. Now with Direct Send, this is no longer an issue and the Amp buttons all work perfectly!

I am still having a bit of an issue with the Hold function that I'm not sure if this firmware was supposed to address or not.
I have a button assigned to Compressor as a primary function and Drive 2 as a hold function. With the old firmware, if I had no compressor in a preset, but I didn't have a Drive 2 block, the button would be dark. Drive 2 would be highlighted, but I could not use a hold to activate it/deactivate it. I was thinking this would be remedied by the new firmware, but the button still behaves this way. If both blocks are present, then the Hold function (including the assigned Hold color) works fine. But unless the block corresponding to the primary function is present, the Hold function does not work.

Like I said, not sure if the Hold function issue was meant to be addressed in this firmware or not.
-
Austin

Last edited:
If I both blocks are present, then the Hold function (including the assigned Hold color) works fine. But unless the block corresponding to the primary function is present, the Hold function does not work.

+1 Would be great if this can be "fixed".

I didn't know about this (or didn't remember it, if it's been mentioned before). But, I can easily see how it can happen. It's first on the list for 3.3.1

Anyone noticing issues with preset switches?

The bottom row on my GT/22 is assigned to global presets.
When I change presets on my Axe-Fx II XL, most of the times the displayed name on the preset switch doesn't change, since updating.

No problems with switches assigned to IAs and no display problems with presets names in the top window.

Weird thing 1: some switches do change names when switching presets.
Weird thing: this seems related to IA Mode. IA Mode is not active. But when I save the preset on the RJM using IA Store, the preset switch suddenly does display the preset, where it didn't before.

It's a pretty big issue.

A minor issue: the title of the dialog box when clicking System Page or System Preset says "PBCEditor".

Last edited:
Thanks Ron.

I've downgraded successfully. I'm now updating again to see if I can detect where / when this issue appears.

Can you give me some more details? In some quick testing here, I did find that switching between presets quickly can result in a name being stored to the wrong preset button, but it doesn't seem to be affected by the Preset 2nd Press setting.

Does turning off Sync Names fix the problem?

UPDATED:

config file after updating and converting (WITHOUT any other changes):
http://members.ziggo.nl/alexandervanengelen/converted.rjs

When switching presets on the Axe-Fx II, the GT doesn't change banks / doesn't lit buttons / doesn't update the names on the preset buttons anymore.

No problems with the display of preset names in the top window.

Enabling Sync Names does not solve this.

PS. Use this file, the previous "converted" file was not correct, sorry.

Last edited:
Ok, try this file if you have a moment... It should also fix the "disabled main function / can't activate hold function" issue mentioned earlier.

EDIT: file deleted - look below for an update.

Last edited:
Ok, try this file if you have a moment... It should also fix the "disabled main function / can't activate hold function" issue mentioned earlier.
That is great customer service. RJM is known for this type of support. Well done.

This works great on the "disabled main function / can't activate hold function" issue. That's working great now. I was noticing a little name weirdness, but I reloaded all the names from the unit yesterday and hadn't noticed anything since then. So Alexander will have to verify that.

One other thing I've noticed. Even though I have display temp set to off, when I boot up the unit, it is display a tempo of 0.0. If I tap in a tempo, it updates the Axe FX correctly and the display still reads 0.0. If I go into the unit configuration and toggle tempo display to on and then back to off, then the 0.0 display disappears. But when I reboot, it's back again.

Thanks for the great support on this!
-
Austin

O.k. wait, stop the presses. The hold function is kind of working in 3.3.1. with the Axe FX

Here's what's happening.
I have a button with Compressor 1 on/off as the primary function and Drive 2 on/off as the secondary function.
1. If both blocks are present in the preset, everything works fine.
2. If Compressor 1 is not present, but Drive 2 is present, then the hold functions works fine. In this case, if you use the hold function to turn off the Drive 2 block off, the back light on the corresponding display will go out completely (because the compressor block is not present). If you use the hold function to turn the Drive 2 block on, the display will show whatever color you chose for the On state of the hold function.
3. If Compressor 1 is preset, but Drive 2 is not present, then no functions work. So the button will light up in the on or off state depending on what state the Compressor 1 block is in when the preset loads. But neither the primary function or the hold function on the button work.

So in a sense, the problem has been reversed.
In previous firmwares, the issue was with scenario 2 but not 3.
In 3.3.1, the issue is with scenario 3, but not 2.
-
Austin

Ok, glad to hear that one thing is fixed at least. I will work out the other issue ASAP.

Back