Midi in issues

toasterdude

Hey. The last two nights I have been in my home studio, redoing programming on my rig and experimenting with the MMGT. Gotta say, this thing is the Rolls Royce of Midi Controllers.

Ron was nice enough to explain to me how to do CC link on the GT. I think I had it set up right and all was working.

I added a GT as a device. Set midi receive to 16. Set all my "sub preset" local page buttons to have the CC link command first. I used CCs 101-116 for the 16 buttons. Did not test all but set up a maschine project where there were 5 scenes. Scene 1 called up sub preset 1, scene 2 subpreset 2 etc up to 5 or 6 scenes. Can't remember. I was VERY happy. Made the maschine prgramming WAY easier.

Then the wheels fell off. lol. I added another scene at beginning of maschine project to set the GT preset to 03. It worked! But. . . .then the sub presets no longer changed with the corresponding Maschine scenes?

It was late and I went in circles a bit. At one point I discovered that in MMGT edit the GT was set to receive on channel 16 but on the GT itself it was channel 2? Made no sense as how were the sub preset buttons responding to Maschine if Maschine was sending on 16 and the GT was on 2?

I am not clear as to what the options on the MMGT device settings panel should be set to? They seem geared towards devices that receive commands from GT not GT receiving from Maschine or external source?

For now I have it set:

Midi Channel 16
PC Offset 0
MSB:LSB
Flat numbering off
Midi Port - remote in?
Max PC 0
# of presets 384

all six checkboxes below off. I tried most of the combinations but none worked properly. I could either get the CC link to work or PC to work. Not both? By the end, I could not get the CC link to function again.

What am I doing wrong?

CC Linked buttons take their MIDI channel from the device they're controlling - it's intended to be bidirectional, because that's how most apps work - they use the same CC number and channel for a parameter's input and output. So, you have it set up correctly for channel 16. The global MIDI receive channel only controls which channel the GT listens on for PC messages.

The MIDI Port setting is correct if you're using a MIDI interface between the GT and computer instead of a direct USB connection.

As a first step, I recommend monitoring the MIDI messages coming out of the PC and make sure they're getting sent as expected. If that all checks out, I can have a look at your settings file if you like.

CC Linked buttons take their MIDI channel from the device they're controlling - it's intended to be bidirectional, because that's how most apps work - they use the same CC number and channel for a parameter's input and output. So, you have it set up correctly for channel 16. The global MIDI receive channel only controls which channel the GT listens on for PC messages.

The MIDI Port setting is correct if you're using a MIDI interface between the GT and computer instead of a direct USB connection.

As a first step, I recommend monitoring the MIDI messages coming out of the PC and make sure they're getting sent as expected. If that all checks out, I can have a look at your settings file if you like.

I am a bit confused. In my case the device being controlled would be the MMGT? I am controlling it via Maschine. Setting the GT to 16 in the device settings worked with the CC link at first. Only after adding a scene with PC did the CC link stop working. Can that be because both the device setting and global midi are both 16?

I have seen both the CC link and PC work. Just never at the same time. I guess PC would be most straight forward. I will investigate further tonight. Maybe trying different channels for the device setting and global midi?

How should the 6 check boxes in device settings be set for CC link to be working? The rest of the settings? It is likely I changed something in an effort to get PC working that cauased CC link to stop working. Problem is, I have no idea what that could be.

You need to set up a device that represents your PC, even if you're not actually controlling the PC, and the PC is controlling the GT.

All the checkboxes in device settings should be turned off for your purposes.

You need to set up a device that represents your PC, even if you're not actually controlling the PC, and the PC is controlling the GT.

All the checkboxes in device settings should be turned off for your purposes.

I need to test more but am pretty sure it is all working. I am an idiot. . .or midiot. Set the device to be Maschine as generic rather than GT.
Have that device set to 16 and global midi to 6. The doh moment is when I remembered the midi settings for Maschine are for each "sound" not each command. So, when I changed midi channel to send it was changing them all to 16 or 2 or 6. I needed CCs to be on 16 and PC on 6.

At least it appears that way. I guess maybe both being on same channel causes a conflict. Will investigate further. For now, I have it working even if I eat up two midi channels. I have three channels left I believe so I should be ok, lol. Actually Helix can send 6 PC commands for each preset so I guess if I get even more out of control and add more than 3 more boxes, Helix can handle them. I don't see that happening but didn't see adding Helix to the mix but amd very glad I have.

Back