Mini Effect Gizmo forgets

robro

Hi, I´ve bought a used MEG and my setup is as follows:
GLAB GSC-3 (which can control 3 midi devices at the same time on 3 different channels) midi out -> GLAB midi splitter -> out 1 to 2 midi controlled rack units (channel 1) and a Line 6 M5 (channel 2)/out 2 to MEG (set to channel 1)/ out 3 to another M5 in front of the amp (set to channel 3).

Now, every midi device in my rig works fine and recieves program changes except the MEG which behaves very strange. If I, for instance, engage program number 14 on the GSC-3 and activate a loop on the MEG and press write (all the lights flash when I hold down write button) the loop stays on even if I switch to a different program on the GSC-3. Weirdly enough the loop turns off if I switch banks.

I have reset the unit to factory settings several times and made sure that both the GSC-3 and the MEG are set to channel one. The other day it worked fine with bank number 5 and above but not with the lower banks and then suddenly it did work as it should, for a while. Today it remebered my settings in bank 1 but when I started to add loops it went back to the fore mentioned behavior. Sometimes, when it works with the loops and I turn the power off the MEG had forgets all my loop settings in all banks.

I have changed midi cables and it didn´t help. I guess I´ve bought a faulty unit. :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I run power to the MEG from the GLAB midi splitter. I´ve attached a pic of how I connected everything if it helps.
10.jpg

Does the GSC-3 send any CC messages? It sounds to me like it's sending both PC and CC messages, where the CC messages are overriding the saved PC settings.

What's the serial number on your MEG? That will determine if it has the problem mentioned in that thread - it's something we fixed in production quite a few years ago.

The serial number is MEG10061. I also checked my GSC-3. It is set to only send program changes not CC messages.

That is old enough to potentially have that problem. If you want to be sure, you could open up the MEG and take a picture of the insides near the MIDI jacks. That would tell me what's in there for sure.

Yup, that's the one! The modification mentioned in the older post (quoted below) should fix it.

The solution is to reduce R12 from 10k to 2.2k or 2.7k (either is fine). You can replace the resistor, or carefully add a 3.3k resistor in parallel to the 10k resistor, which will drop the total resistance to about 2.5k.

That did the trick! A friend helped me swap to a 2.7K resistor today and now the MEG works just fine. I can't thank you enough for all the help.

Back