MM GT tuner display no longer works when adding Rack Gizmo

cwelcher

I just got a Rack Gizmo and noticed that the main display on the GT now shows a "?" instead of the tuner status. Here's the skinny:

Previous setup (that worked):
Mm-GT powered by its AC adapter
Connected to AxeFx-II via 5-pin MIDI cable

New setup (that doesn't work):
MM GT connected to Rack Gizmo via 6-pin XLR MIDI cable
Rack Gizmo is powered using the MM GT AC adapter instead of the RG's AC adapter (per Ron)
Rack Gizmo is connected to AxeFx-II via 5-pin MIDI cable
Nothing else is connected to the Rack Gizmo

Preset selection works fine from the GT (only), but when I select the tuner button on the GT the tuner on the AxeFx-II activates like before but the main display on the GT shows a question mark "?" instead of the tuner status (see image). I also noticed that when I change presets via the AxeFx-II it doesn't change on the GT, so I seem to have lost my bidirectional functionality (probably the cause of the missing tuner).

I've tried with both firmware 1.0 and 1.1 on the GT. I also initialized the Rack Gizmo per the instructions for using my Mesa MkV interface cable.

Ideas?

Attachments

• 2013-02-14 18.21.09.jpg
    2013-02-14 18.21.09.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Re: MM GT tuner display no longer works when adding Rack Giz

The GT isn't receiving the MIDI data that's coming back from the Axe-Fx. MIDI isn't made to handle bidirectional communication, but companies like Fractal and ourselves are trying our best to get it to work anyway. One thing that is missing is the ability for a bidirectional connection to work through a MIDI Thru port. It just can't do it right now. There are a few solutions:

- Connect the GT to the Axe-Fx and use the Axe-Fx thru to connect to the Rack Gizmo. This works well, but phantom powering won't work. We now have a phantom power adapter box that helps get around this by adding phantom power to the connection between the Axe and GT

- *** This one is untested as of yet! I'll try it as soon as I can *** Keep it connected like you have it now, but add a second MIDI cable from the Axe's MIDI output to the Remote input of the GT. Everything should work, the only downside being that you need an additional cable.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry it's taken me a few days to respond, I've been sick.

I tried both suggestions and both methods do indeed work!

I do have a question about your first suggestion:

Connect the GT to the Axe-Fx and use the Axe-Fx thru to connect to the Rack Gizmo. This works well, but phantom powering won't work. We now have a phantom power adapter box that helps get around this by adding phantom power to the connection between the Axe and GT.

If I purchase the XLR6F Phantom Power Adapter then my new interconnect would be:
GT MIDI Out to XLR6F Phantom Power Adapter via my existing 6-pin XLR MIDI cable
XLR6F Phantom Power Adapter to AxeFx-II MIDI In via 5-pin MIDI cable
AxeFx-II MIDI Out/Thru to Rack Gizmo MIDI In via 5-pin MIDI cable

Yes, that's right - with the inclusion of plugging the GT adapter into the phantom power adapter.

Thanks, Ron! XLR6F Phantom Power Adapter just ordered!

Back