PBC6X / Meris Pedals / Nixie / MIDI Forwarding or MIDI Out

Thomas Hopton

Hello, I'm currently running a Timeline to Meris Mercury 7 via MIDI to my PBC 6X. I run MIDI Out from the Timeline to the M7 by use of a 5 PIN MIDI to TRS for the Meris. I've been looking at Meris PC interfaces that developers have created so you can manage presets, just like Nixie for Strymon. Is the PBC capable of sending the MIDI Out that the Meris needs to interface with a PC via the PBC USB?
I haven't been able to get my Nixie to read my Timeline via USB either. I have MIDI Forwarding and Biodirectional MIDI engaged on the PBC.

Currently, the only way I know to connect a Meris to a computer is via their MIDI I/O and a Roland UM-ONE. So, I'm essentially wondering if the PBC USB can communicate with either Nixie or Meris Interfaces.

Thanks!
(I absolutely love the PBC6X by the way, it's an incredible powerhouse - thank you so much for creating it)

A Timeline pedal needs both the input and the output connected to the PBC in order to communicate with Nixe. You need to split the PBC/6X into a MIDI input and an output using a cable like this:

https://btpa.com/GMIDIY1-II.html?category_id=138

I've never worked with Meris pedals, but I suspect you would need to do something like this to get them all working:

PBC/6X MIDI out to Meris MIDI I/O input
Meris MIDI I/O output to Timeline MIDI input
Timeline MIDI output to PBC/6X MIDI input
MIDI I/O TRS to pedal TRS MIDI input

Make sure "MIDITH" is set to Merge on the Timeline. There may be a similar setting on the Meris pedal, but I don't know for sure. With MIDI Forwarding turned on in the PBC, you should be able to get communication between computer and pedals using the PBC's USB connection.

A Timeline pedal needs both the input and the output connected to the PBC in order to communicate with Nixe. You need to split the PBC/6X into a MIDI input and an output using a cable like this...Forwarding turned on in the PBC, you should be able to get communication between computer and pedals using the PBC's USB connection.

Riddle me this.

I'm using the PBC/6X and wiring up a new board with Midi IN and OUT jacks on the side (I made my own MIDI Y cable and it works great). My hope was to be able to use the Mastermind Editor and Nixie side by side without issue.

In theory I'd love to connect the PBC to my computer directly via USB. Then I'd use a Roland UM-ONE MkII USB-to-MIDI cable and connect it to my IN and OUT midi jacks on the side of my board and have Nixie be able to detect my Strymon's through that. Is this possible? If so, what settings would I need to make sure the PBC are set at? In this case would MIDI forwarding need to be OFF?

As long as you've got things connected like this:
PBC Y (out)->Pedal 1-> Pedal 2->Pedal 3->etc-> Pedalboard MIDI Out jack
PBC Y(in)->Pedalboard MIDI In jack

Then, you would turn off MIDI Forward and turn on MIDI Merge

Actually...I just tried all that and still couldn't get it to work. So, when I turn off MIDI Forwarding it gives me three options: In, Out, and USB. Which one(s) should be checked? I tried a number of combinations with no luck but I'm curious what it's supposed to be set at.

Turn on Merge In and have the other two turned off.

After trying that, Nixie still did not recognize my Strymon pedals.

Nixie does recognize my pedals when I put a jumper cable to close the circuit on my in and out jacks and turn on midi forwarding...but Nixie doesn’t run smoothly, at times shutting off completely.

I’m still hunting for a way to have the editor and Nixie open simultaneously with no glitches. Right now I’m doing a workaround by connecting a Roland UM-ONE USB-Midi cable directly to the Strymon’s and then editing the PBC separately. I would just prefer not to have to physically disconnect the midi jacks every time I want to edit the Strymon’s. Over time that may cause issues.

Back