[Resolved] Expression Pedal issue

is9582

GT22 FW-4.9.0 AF3 - FW-20.02

I’m using an Ernie Ball Jr. expression pedal, that I re-wired over a year ago, correcting the polarity so it will work with the GT22. It has been working correctly since the re-wiring, and has been connected for this whole time, until I noticed it last night. I unplugged and replugged the cable into both the expression pedal and the GT22 port, to make sure no corrosion was at play. I’ve not been playing out, and always practicing by myself, so I keep the expression pedal set to full on, and it sets beside my GT22.
When I noticed it wasn’t working, I tried going back through the setup process. My AF3 just doesn’t recognize it, even with the proper CC#11 set for Ext #1. I’ve not noticed anything else malfunctioning between the GT22 and AF3. I tested the cable, and between ring and sleeve there was 10.77 ohms and .99 ohms at the two end points. I also calibrated this pedal while connected to my GT22, and it recognized the pedal and was very nearly full range (2 to 127).
I’ve rebooted both the AF3 and GT22 (at the same time) yet can’t quite figure this one out. I’m sure I’m probably having another dang brain fart, but I’d appreciate input to get me going again.
Oh, all three front end setup between the AF3 and GT22 are still set as described in the manual.
Thanks in advance,

Lee

If the pedal calibrates, then the pedal, cable and GT hardware are all working fine. Do you have another MIDI device you can use the GT to control temporarily, to make sure everything else is ok on the GT end?

Hey Ron,

Thanks for your thoughts.
I do have another AF3, that is lagging behind the current firmware, I guess the family craziness is taking too many processor cycles of my brain, or I’d have already thought to plug into another device, as a test. I also have a couple of lower-end keyboards, that have MIDI, too. It might be simplest to test with the other AF3, as there is no learning curve, and we already know the AF3 is solid with the GT22.

I’ll give it a test later today.

Cheers,
Lee

AF3 MK1 FW17.02. USB FW1.10
AF3 MK2 FW20.02. USB FW1.14

@rjmmusic
Hey Ron,

Here is an update. I shifted everything to my AF3 MK1, and configured it following the GT manual 4.3 and made certain to setup External1 - External4 with CC#11-CC#14, so I could test the expression pedal in all four jacks on the GT22. Unfortunately, I have the same negative report on my AF3 MK1 as on the MK2.
I moved my expression pedal to the pedal1 jack on the AF3, and swapped the cable in to the expression pedal to the opposite polarity. The expression pedal worked properly in both AF3 units, when connected to the built-in Pedal1 port.
I’ll keep testing here, but would love your thoughts.
Cheers,
Lee

@rjmmusic

Ok, I just located the issue. I re-loaded firmware 4.8.1 and I had the same issue. I decided once again to go in and make certain my expression pedal was calibrated. The pedal again was recognized by my GT22 and calibrated without fault. After the calibration, I happened to notice something on the GT22; it displayed the CC Number as 7! I didn't assign it to 7, but I'm guessing when I rebuilt my layout, under 4.8.1, it may have had 7 in the Global settings, for the expression pedal? Once I changed it to Ext.1 CC#11, the expression pedal is again working as expected.
Glad to have it sorted.

Thanks again for your assistance, as it is always appreciated.

Cheers,
Lee

Back