RG 16 powering a Voodoo Lab GCP via phantom power

Hchan23

I recently set up my rack rig earlier today but I ran into a little problem. I'm trying to power my Voodoo Lab GCP via phantom power but I'm having a little trouble getting the GCP to start up. My signal path looks like this currently.

Guitar -> RG 16 -> OD pedals -> Front of amp -> Effects loop send to Eventide Timefactor -> TC Hall of Fame Reverb -> Return to amp via effects loop

I'm using a 5 pin midi cable connecting from the midi in jack on the timefactor into the midi thru jack on the RG 16, and I'm using a 5 to 7 pin midi cable for the GCP. 7 pin side on the midi in jack of the RG 16, and 5 pin side on the midi out jack on the GCP. I'm powering all of this with a Furman PL8C Power Conditioner.

Did I use a wrong midi cable? Is the midi cable from the RG 16 to GCP supposed to be a 7 pin midi cable on both sides? If not, what is the problem?

Thanks.

do you have the manual of the GCP? on one of the first pages is a hint for phantom power.
if you don´t use a GCX, you need a 7 pin midi-cable for phantom power.
so i guess, a 5 -5 pin works with the GCX and for all other midi-gear you must use a 7-7pin
and make sure, your power supply for the RG-16 has enough ampere and the right voltage.

A 5 to 7 pin MIDI cable will work if it's wired correctly. The Rocktron cable with an additional power connector on one end will not work the way you want it to.

A diagram for a correct 5-to-7 cable is attached. You can also use a 7 pin MIDI cable - it'll definitely work.

Attachments

• MIDI-5-7.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 197
Back