Stepping through AIII Mux Channels with a button press?

Ah, now we're getting somewhere! Are you connecting using a phantom power box, or with two cables? If the latter, the problem is the MIDI Merge setting, it needs to be off when using two cables, otherwise it's sending the Axe-Fx's own messages back to itself.

I'm using the phantom box, but apparently Merge needs to be off when using that as well. That fixed it!

Quick question, though...if I have MIDI Merge off, does that mean I won't be able to use the GT as the MIDI receiver for bluetooth MIDI commands from Bandhelper? I use it during shows to control keyboard, mixer settings, and so forth...in the past I've passed everything through the GT, out to the AxeFX and then on to other devices on other channels.

Last edited:
Hmm, that's odd, it shouldn't do that with a single MIDI connection to the Axe-Fx. What's connected to the MIDI input(s) on the GT?

Hmm, that's odd, it shouldn't do that with a single MIDI connection to the Axe-Fx. What's connected to the MIDI input(s) on the GT?

Nothing. And no devices are mapped to have their MIDI port on the MIDI IN side. Miswiring in the phantom box, perhaps?

If the phantom power box was in any way miswired, you'd have much more severe problems. What about USB? Do you have anything sending MIDI to the GT over the USB port? (The editor only sends when transferring settings, and the GT will not forward sysex messages from the editor).

(SNIP) What about USB? Do you have anything sending MIDI to the GT over the USB port? (The editor only sends when transferring settings, and the GT will not forward sysex messages from the editor).

Nope. This was happening whether or not a cable was even hooked up to the USB port.

Aaaand, the behavior is back. I'm not sure what changed. But it now behaves like it did before, only cycling reluctantly through Channel A, B, C, A, B, C...with a stutter occasionally. Works great when the MIDI cable is unplugged.

Attachments

• FunkySteps.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
What else is in the system right now, aside from GT and Axe-Fx? Anything other than the connection from GT MIDI Out to box to Axe-Fx MIDI In and Out? (ok, and power supply)?

No further thoughts on this, Ron? I realize intermittent issues are the hardest to track, but this one is...pretty persistent. It was only for one brief period after turning off Merge that it worked.

This turned out to be a combination of settings errors and a bug. On any button that controls effect block bypass or effect block channel, Group has to be set to None, and Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change have to be turned off. Both the normal function and hold function need to be set this way (if they both are controlling the Axe-Fx III). In your most recent file, some of the problem buttons have a group number set or send/update on preset change turned on.

Also, I did find a GT bug that contributed to the problem (specifically the inability to access step 4). I just released firmware 4.2.2 that fixes this.

This turned out to be a combination of settings errors and a bug. On any button that controls effect block bypass or effect block channel, Group has to be set to None(SNIP)

Ron, I got to thinking about this, and it feels like quite a limitation. I used the Group function to ensure that if I go from one delay block to another, they both aren't on. Or if I have the Leslie on, it turns off the Tremolo block. If you can't use Groups for block bypass, what is it for? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your quote here.

Ron, I got to thinking about this, and it feels like quite a limitation. I used the Group function to ensure that if I go from one delay block to another, they both aren't on. Or if I have the Leslie on, it turns off the Tremolo block. If you can't use Groups for block bypass, what is it for? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your quote here.

The problem is that you would have the GT trying to control the buttons and the Axe-Fx trying to control them too. For example, if you group them so that turning on rotary turns off tremolo, what happens if you turn them both on in Axe-Edit, or on the Axe-Fx itself? The Axe-Fx doesn't have a group feature - it's not possible to have one effect block turn off as the result of another one turning on. Having both tremolo and rotary turned on would violate the grouping in the GT, which gets it confused.

It's an easy problem to solve if you put the buttons in control of the GT (turning on Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change, and Send CCs on Preset Change). Then, the buttons will ignore status reports from the Axe-Fx and just tell the Axe-Fx they way it wants the effect blocks to be. You can use groups all you want in that case. You just won't get any effect status updates from the Axe-Fx for that button. (This is "Slave Mode" in the Axe-Fx I and II support)

But, if you have both the GT and the Axe-Fx able to control button states, you can easily get conflicts. That's why you see the buttons flash to one state, then quickly flash to another. The GT sets it to one state, then the Axe-Fx comes in and says "Nope, it's supposed to be THIS way".

This may be a problem that can be solved, but it will take a fair amount of time on my part to really understand it and make sure that all of the possibilities are addressed.

Thanks, Ron. I'm typically not using the AFX UI and the GT at the same time, or AxeEdit and the GT at the same time. But I actually just tried these using 4.2.2, and the groupings seem to work fine. They do what I need them to do on the GT.

Bonus: when I engage two blocks within a group on the AFX UI, it shows both as on on the GT. It didn't seem to get confused at all. Or maybe I don't understand what the symptoms are of confusion? ;-)

For a guy like me, that would be very ironic.

The problem is ...

I'm not quite following this.

I have an AMP 1 block and an AMP 2 block, and they currently are grouped. Because I want only one to be engaged at a time.

The HOLD functions are assigned to the Channel Select menu.
Send On Preset Change and Update On Preset Change are not enabled.

And this works fine!

Last edited:
Interesting, I've only seen problems when grouping effect buttons. Like most things, this probably works in some cases but not in others. I wouldn't change the way grouping works unless I have a general solution that actually works in all cases.

What happens when you start toggling the amp blocks in the Axe-Fx or Axe-Edit?

(SNIP of odd double-post)

Ron,

Have not tried it with AxeEdit yet, but changing the bypass state of blocks on the AFX UI (as I mentioned above) does exactly what I'd expect: overrides the Group exclusivity, and displays both blocks as "On" on the GT. Even works when switching scenes.

Moreover, I can't see the purpose for Groups if it did not work this way.

Last edited:
Back