Strymon Dig MIDI issue.

Mdmack17

So I’ve got 3 pages set up on my pbc. First one is a preset page, second is an “instant” page, and third Is a loops page. On my instant page I have buttons set up for tap tempo, instant access to my Trem and pog, an “ambient” preset, but the one I can’t figure out is just a simple bypass on/off for my Strymon dig.

I have audio loop 5 wired with a mono out to a DD-20 -> DIG ->stereo return to the PBC. So I have a delay loop with both delays, but I was planning to be able to turn the Dig on and off via MIDI and leave my DD-20 on. My problem is the CC will turn the DIG on, but not off. I have a dedicated switch on my instant page set up as an IA switch to send midi CC #102 off value 0 and on value 127. If I use the switch on the pedal to bypass the Dig then the PBC will turn it on, but it will not turn it back off with a second button push.

Has anyone else had an issue with bypassing the V2 Strymon stuff via MIDI or am I missing something silly. I’m not a huge MIDI user by any stretch so it could absolutely be user error.

Also, not sure why it would matter, but here is the board in question.

IMG_9867.jpeg

Update, I used a computer program called pocket midi to isolate the DIG midi and I can get the dig to turn on and off via midi that way.

My midi signal on my board is out of the RJM to the Disaster area NNB then out of the TRS on the NNB to the DIG.

As I said before it passes MIDI clock fine and the on CC works. Just cannot get it to turn off.

Update, I used a computer program called pocket midi to isolate the DIG midi and I can get the dig to turn on and off via midi that way.

My midi signal on my board is out of the RJM to the Disaster area NNB then out of the TRS on the NNB to the DIG.

As I said before it passes MIDI clock fine and the on CC works. Just cannot get it to turn off.
The NNB doesn't seem like it's intended for the purpose you're using it for, it doesn't seem to be a standard DIN to TRS MIDI converter. If it's doing anything at all, it must be somewhat correct. Try turning off MIDI clock and see if you can get the pedal to bypass then. Maybe the NNB can't handle MIDI clock corrrectly.

The MIDI clock works great, the DIG tempo syncs up perfectly with my DD-20 (tap via the FN switch) and gets tempos from the PBC per song. Again Im not a MIDI expert AT ALL so i could be doing something crazy, but the way I read the manual it seems like the NNB is designed to pass the MIDI signal through out of the "multijack"

Per the disaster area manual "MultiJack functions as a MIDI output. MIDI data that enters the NNB from the main MIDI input will be passed out the MultiJack to a compatible MIDI device."

All of the other MIDI functions seem to work correctly. Preset recall, mix and feedback control, etc.

Its just this one CC to bypass the unit that is giving me fits. It could be that the NNB for some reason wont pass that one specific value I guess, just seems bizarre that everything else is functioning correctly which is why I feel like I have to have something set up incorrectly on my end.

I'm specifically calling out the MIDI clock, because it's a continuous stream of MIDI data, and it could be causing trouble with other functions. It's not likely, but it's possible.

I have a Dig V2 here, and it works fine for me. My next suggestion is to make sure that the Dig is updated to the latest firmware - maybe there's a bug we don't know about it? Updating the PBC is also a good idea as well, even though I don't know of any past bugs that would cause the symptoms you're seeing.

ive already updated both the DIG and PBC earlier today. I will try to turn off MIDI clock when I get home and see if anything changes

The MIDI clock did not fix the issue, but I figured it out. It was a firmware issue on the disaster area NNB. I found a thread on another forum where someone was having the exact same issue but on a chase bliss pedal and they posted a firmware patch that they got via email from disaster area and I updated and it seems to all be working fine now.

thanks so much for the response.

Michael

Back