Switching/ Delay Trail Issue

rizzo

I will try to make this as short and sweet as possible and hopefully someone will have the answer. I'm sure it's probably user error. Ha.

My set up is as follows:

I have a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro running into an RG-16. I have the GCP set up in 4 preset mode. I am running a Line 6 M5 via MIDI in instant access switch 5. It runs all of my delays. It runs thru a Mini-Line Mixer thru my Bogner XTC fx loop so the delays can trail.

As an example, in one of my banks I have:

Preset 1 - Clean channel w/ delay
Preset 2 - Rhythm 1 channel w/ delay
Preset 3 - Rhythm 2 channel w/o delay
Preset 4 - Solo channel w/o delay

Here is the issue: When I'm using Preset 1 or 2 and switch to any other Preset the delay trails off correctly. When I'm in Preset 3 sometimes I like to turn my delay on but when I hit Preset 3 again to shut it off or change to any other Preset the delays DO NOT trail. Same with Preset 4. Actually any bank or any preset it's the same thing. If the delay is part of the actual Preset the delay will trail if I add it by stepping on the instant access switch then the delays do not trail. I'm completely baffled by this. I am going to post this here and at the Voodoo Lab forum and see if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong.

could be wrong but I would suspect the issue is with the M5 receiving a patch change message albeit to change to the patch its already on but its default is for the delay to be off so it will instantly turn the delay

not too familiar with the GCP or the M5 but if you can send delayed midi messages the you may be able to do the following with one of the units set the default preset to delay on but turn it of after a very short interval (slightly longer than your std fx delay time)
I suspect if its possible in the GCP it should be as simple as sending whatever midi message you use to turn your delay on/off but some foot controllers allow you do do this on patch change afetr a specified time has elapsed (delayed midi message)

It may be possible in the M5 also some multi fx have the ability to control how events effects are triiggered

4x4uk said:
could be wrong but I would suspect the issue is with the M5 receiving a patch change message albeit to change to the patch its already on but its default is for the delay to be off so it will instantly turn the delay

i checked that but the delay is the same for all of the patches and stays on at all times. the first thing i checked was the M5. i even made sure the pedal itself is in DSP BYPASS mode not True Bypass. So I'm 99.9% sure it is not an issue with the M5.

yes but your default preset 3 is delay off so Im assuming you have an m5 patch with the delay off. so when triggered it will instantly turn the delay off even if or have I missed something your in the same patch

4x4uk said:
yes but your default preset 3 is delay off so Im assuming you have an m5 patch with the delay off. so when triggered it will instantly turn the delay off even if or have I missed something your in the same patch

that would be correct but with the mini line mixer the delays still should trail over as far as i understand whether it's part of the next patch or not. that's what it's i bought it for anyway.

ok so it should work as you expect.
What happens in you are in patch /preset 3 on the m5, turn the delay on the delay (where the patche preset normally has it off) on and then select the patch again?

4x4uk said:
ok so it should work as you expect.
What happens in you are in patch /preset 3 on the m5, turn the delay on the delay (where the patche preset normally has it off) on and then select the patch again?

not sure if i get that completely (turn the delay on the delay?) but i will take a stab at it when i get in front of the rig again later today. it may make more sense when it's there next to me.

no problem rizzo

Just use the patch/preset in the m5 that you select with the GCP preset 3 then turn of the delay, but reselect that same patch preset directly in the M5 and see if the delay still trails off I suspect it wont

4x4uk said:
no problem rizzo

Just use the patch/preset in the m5 that you select with the GCP preset 3 then turn of the delay, but reselect that same patch preset directly in the M5 and see if the delay still trails off I suspect it wont

Okay. So, I tried turning the M5 on and off from the M5 itself with the instant access for the M5 selected. The delay still trailed. I tried turning on a patch/preset on the GCP that doesn't normally have the delay on and used the instant access that controls the delay on and off and still had trails but if I turn it on and then I switch to a different preset... NO TRAILS. Yet if I use a preset that already has the delay turned on and switch to a different preset... I HAVE TRAILS. I am absolutely, utterly, completely confused. Not sure if there is a setting on the RJM or GCP that I am missing but I've tried everything I can think of. Help.

the issue is in the M5, It sounds like a patch/preset in the M5 with the delay on by default will have trails but if the patch/preset has the delay off by default then it wont even if you turn it on
I cant see anyway that the GCP or the any of the RJM gear causing that issue

4x4uk said:
the issue is in the M5, It sounds like a patch/preset in the M5 with the delay on by default will have trails but if the patch/preset has the delay off by default then it wont even if you turn it on
I cant see anyway that the GCP or the any of the RJM gear causing that issue

it's the exact same delay patch for all 4 presets within a bank. same midi program change number. nothing within each bank is changing on the M5. every bank has 1 and only 1 M5 delay patch.

i seriously have no idea.

yeah but your preset 3 has the delay off by default all the others have it on I assume you are using a different preset in the M5 to achieve this.

4x4uk said:
yeah but your preset 3 has the delay off by default all the others have it on I assume you are using a different preset in the M5 to achieve this.

i'm not using a different preset on the M5. 1-2-3 and 4 are all using midi program change number 01 (which is preset 02 on the M5). i had the almost exact same set up before but with an M9 and set it up the same way and never had a problem with the trails. i'll just keep pluggin away at it and will figure it out at some point. i'll just have to muddle thru this weekend's gigs with the patches as they are. thanks for all the help.

How exactly are the RG-16, line mixer and M5 connected? That could potentially be the cause of the issue.

Ok. Figured it out. Everything was wired correctly. The mistake I made was that for every bank of 4 presets all of them had the same midi PC numbers. Now only preset 1 has the PC number and for 2, 3, and 4 I chose 128 which is no PC change. I'll just need to selct the bank then hit preset 1 and everything in that bank of 4 presets should be golden. I knew it had to be something right in front of my face. Whew!!!!

Back