Tonal Recall MIDI Not Working

Gordon

I have a Chase Bliss Tonal Recall and Gravitas Tremolo, as well as a Source Audio Collider pedal wired up for MIDI to my PBC 10. I'm using an external switch for a global tap tempo for all three devices, which has CC Momentary #93 off:0 on:127 IA Actions assigned for all three devices. The two CB pedals are connected via TRS to a Disaster Area Midi Box 4, set to "ring active" as instructed, and have identical settings in the Devices tab of the Mastermind Editor (other than separate MIDI channels). PBC firmware is 4.5.0.

The Gravitas and Collider are both receiving tap tempo as expected, but the Tonal Recall is not.

I have tried different TRS cables with no success. I even reached out to Chase Bliss and they're stumped. Each pedal is assigned it's own MIDI channel on the PBC corresponding to its internal channel setting. Any ideas for what might be going on and how I can get the TR receiving MIDI properly? It doesn't appear to be receiving PC messages either.

Note: this is my 2nd TR to encounter this same issue, having recently upgraded to the Red Knob Mod, so I kinda doubt it's just a defective pedal.

Last edited:
How didi you set the channel on the Tonal Recall? That process is a little fiddly and is easy to get the wrong results. I show the process in this video:

Hi, yes, I referred to this video and I think I was doing it correctly. Thing is, I'm not doing much with presets at this point, and mostly just creating custom button pages with CC messages. When I asked Chase Bliss about midi channel, they said it shouldn't really matter what channel it's set to, so I'm pretty confused. My primary use case so far has been trying to get this global tap tempo working for all pedals.

I've tried programming several different midi channels, and sending PC1 (which would be whatever the default PC1 is - I haven't programmed any presets on the TR). No luck yet...

Here's how I'm attempting to set/reset the TR to midi channel 2 from the Mastermind editor software:
1. Set midi channel to 2 for the TR on the Devices tab
2. From my current button page, add a PC IA action to the TR button: Tonal Recall / PC off:0 on:2
3. Write changes to device
4. Unplug TR, press and hold both buttons and power back on, release buttons
5. Press the TR button on the PBC, which should be sending the PC message on midi channel 2, and thus establish said channel on the pedal

But no reaction from the pedal, nor the tap tempo action on the external switch. I've tried the above steps for multiple midi channels to be sure.

When you press that IA button repeatedly, does the Led color on the Tonal Recall change color? It should if things are working correctly.

A good test to try is set up the Gravitas as if it was the TR. Set it to channel 2 using your process above, and plug it in using the same cable and port that you used for the TR. If it works, the TR is defective. If it doesn't, try using the port and cable that you had the Gravitas originally connected to. If that works, it's the cable or the MIDI box port you were using.

Thanks for the input. I finally got it working... In the end, it was a cable issue after all. I had tried multiple TRS cables that I soldered myself, triple-checking and even re-soldering a few of them with no results. I finally tested a bulky store-bought TRS cable I had lying around and voila! It appeared that I had faulty Squareplug connectors, so I ordered a few more, just soldered them up and everything is receiving MIDI great!

Back