Too many gadgets, not enough knowledge

Good afternoon,

I just purchased a RG-16 and Ground Control Pro to setup my new rack. I had a GCX in the past but it was long ago and I don't remember at all how I set it up. Anyway, I don't know how to connect a few items and am turning to this forum for assistance.

Amps:
Orange TH100 w/4x12
Orange OR15 w/4x12

FX in loop:
Alesis Microverb III reverb and delay
MXR EQ
Boss EQ
(eventually a Line 6 M5 or Eventide Mod pedal will be added)

FX in Front of amps:
MXR GT OD
MXR Zakk Wylde OD
Dunlop DCR 1SR Custom Shop Rack wah

Ideally, I'd like to be able to use the whole FX setup on either amp. But if not, I'll just focus on the TH100 head for now. Additionally, I'll need to be able to change the channels on the TH100. My biggest problem I am unable to figure out is how to run the Wah controller pedal to the Ground control Pro thru the RG-16.

The idea is to run different EQ pedals because the OD side of the TH100 is lacking in EQ control, so I want to run a few different EQ settings on the individual pedals and same goes for the OD pedals, they would be run one at a time, not together.

Help?

I think I've solved this problem and made my system alittle more flexible in applying EQ. My design incorporates programmable EQ pedals from Source Audio (SA-170, heres a link to a YouTube Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYESTIuiC6I) and have placed one pre-OD and one post-OD.

Basically I've placed one in my amp's effects loop which is typically post-OD (attached to my Effects Gizmo's Loop-5, first effect in this chain in the amp's effects loop), and one in front of the amp (pre-OD) (attached to my Effects Gizmo's Loop anywhere in Loops 1-4 in this chain in front of the amp). Now the good thing about these babies is they'r programmable and keeps or stores your presets for instant recall either by pressing a button or using the MIDI interface.

The Wah... Midi pedal controlled by GC or standard non-Midi? If non-midi like my Dunlop CustomShop rackmount, I'll just have to run the controller pedal to where my FCB1010 is. But the send and return goes straight into my Effects Gizmo's Loop-3 in-front of the amp (Guitar -> Loop-1 (compressor) -> Loop-2 (SA-170 EQ) -> Loop-3 (Wah).

Thank you for showing me that EQ pedal. I wish I had known about it before I just purchased the MXR eq. I will work on getting this EQ now. This will make my EQ question obsolete.

You've also answered my Wah question, I was hoping to use the expression pedal jack on the GCP to control it, but I guess I will just have to have a second cable running out to my pedalboard.

I still have to wire and program this whole thing, which should be quite interesting.

Yes, you and me are now on a similar path. I wanted a way that I can change EQ setting without manually going to the box and changing it. So I did a search for MIDI Equalizers and found the SA-170.

Here's a link to my "Show Your Rig" entry with all my notes:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=735

And here's the design:
file.php

That looks super complicated, but seeing your rig, it would NEED to be complicated. Looks great.

My next concern is the messiness of the cables from the pedal drawer. Is it normal to run a patchbay at the rear of the drawer to keep things both neat in the drawer itself and in the case? I'm thinking a little 8 ins and outs patchbay would work great to keep the cables under control. Looking to buy that EQ next week, then I'll just need a Eventide Modfactor and I'm done.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

I really don't mind messy wiring, as long as the point-to-point contact is there and the cable runs are short! Making them neet means having to add an extra 1 to 2 ft of unnecessary expensive cable, in my case mogami cable, to have all the cable run on one side of the case. I just use ties to group cables running to a specific device. Another NO NO for me is adding extra devices such as a patch-bay, as you suggested, only because it adds more complexity to the already complex wiring, adds the need for more patching cables, and also becomes another point of failure in the design. IMO, if I can make a home run connection from point A to point B, that will be permanent, I'll make it a home run, but if I'll be constantly changing configurations, then I make use of a patchbay and make it permanent moving patch cables to change the configuration of the signal path. Just my opinion.

That's part of my problem, I don't know what is permanent yet. I'm just starting my rebuild based on the parts I had and the RG-16 I just got. The only for sure is the RG-16. The ground control pro isn't even staying I'm just waiting on my liquid foot+ junior + and I'll switch to that. Eventually I want to add an ENGL pre-amp in there somewhere. It never ends...

Back