The Y-Not MIDI enabled A/B/Y switch is designed to be an all-in-one solution for switching one audio signal to two outputs.
Use the Y-Not to switch between two amps (for example, a clean amp and a dirty amp), or use it to switch between the inputs of a two input amp. The Y-Not is able to do this cleanly and transparently, without any of the problems associated with traditional A/B boxes.
The new Y-Not version 2.0 includes some very useful new features. One is programmable phase inversion on the B output. This allows you to run two channel switching amps simultaneously and adjust the phase on the fly so that every combination of channels is in phase. This was previously only available as a mod, but is now a standard feature.
Also new for version 2.0 is a “TRS In” switch that, when engaged, allows you to use a piezo-equipped guitar or other 1/4-inch TRS audio source. The tip of the TRS jack will be sent to the A output, and the ring of the TRS jack will be sent to the B output. This allows you to have automated switching between magnetic and piezo signals from your guitar, sending each signal to its own amp.
- The built-in buffer prevents tone loss when splitting your signal to two amps
- A switchable isolation transformer prevents hum due to ground loops
- MIDI controllable phase inversion fixes phase mismatch problems
- TRS In switch allows switching between piezo and magnetic signals on a piezo equipped electric guitar
- Can be controlled by any MIDI controller, and can be integrated into any MIDI-based rig
- Rear panel switching jack allows the Y-Not to be controlled by other non-MIDI devices or a 2 button footswitch
- High quality relays are used to provide the most compatible switching
- Solid and durable with a powder coated aluminum case
- 3 year limited warranty
- One input, A and B outputs, relay switched
- A and B outputs can be controlled by front panel buttons, remote
switching jack or MIDI
- High quality buffer, switchable from the front panel
- Isolation transformer on output B, switchable from the front panel
- Phase inversion switch on output B, switchable from the front panel or MIDI
- Standard 5-pin MIDI input
- 256 presets, arranged in 2 banks of 128
- Responds to both MIDI Program Change and Continuous Controller messages
- Dimensions: 4 x 4 x 1.5 inches (10.2 x 10.2 x 3.8 cm)
- Weight: 10oz (300 g)
- Power Requirements: 9VDC @ 100mA
This video was made with our original model Y-Not, but the new model does the same thing – plus more!
You can use the Y-Not multiple ways. Two of the most common uses are:
- Split your signal to two different amps or digital modeling units.
- Split your signal to two inputs on the same amp, such as some models by Fender, Vox and 65 Amps.
When connecting to multiple amps, or multiple inputs on the same amp, programmable phase inversion can be used to correct phase differences between the amps (or inputs).
The Y-Not can also be used backwards – two inputs to one output. This is useful if you’d like to switch between two instruments and send the selected signal to an amp. When using it this way, the buffer and phase inversion have to be disabled.
An A/B/Y box is a pedal that lets you switch between two different signal chains. You can use it with two separate amps and choose Amp A only, Amp B only, or both amps together.
While the Y-Not is not the only Midi controllable A/B/Y box on the market, we feel it is the best. The Y-Not is “true bypass” and as with all of our audio switchers, we use the best relay-based switching available and studio grade buffers. This provides transparent switching and the clearest guitar signal possible.
The Y-Not is also the only one on the market that has programmable phase switching. This is useful when running two channel switching amps together. Some combinations of channels on the two amps may be in phase and some may be out of phase. The Y-Not will allow you to invert the phase of one amp when needed so that the amps always remain in phase.