Another GT16 scene - preset name issue W/ AxeFx3

Sorry , my mistake . I changed Midi Channel to None not Midi Receive channel .

I now have Midi Channel as #1 and Midi Receive as NONE ... Unfortunately problem persist

@rjmmusic Hi Ron,

Error: I must have been tired earlier. When I brought up the editor, as I glanced at the basic generic setup that is auto pre-loaded. Afterwards I loaded my ACTUAL setup, and sure enough, I had MIDI Receive Channel set to 1. If I ever changed that setting, it was back when I first got the GT22. I re-ran the test for a partial range (320-420) again looking to see if it handled #396 correctly. It did not, but instead of what I saw last time I tested, my AF3 displayed the correct preset chosen via the Select a Preset option on my GT22, while my GT22’s display is showing a preset I have in slot #61 on my AF3.

My setup for the GT22 is attached. Please let me know if you would like me to perform any specific change to see if it my resolve this odd behavior. I'll run it once again in the morning, and set it as normal (1-500) to validate that portion is still working.

I loaded FW19.01 onto my AF3 this evening, and have been running 19.00 and then 19.01b since they dropped. I haven't noticed any other issues to this point.

Cheers,
Lee

Attachments

• LL-GT22-2022-02-02.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
@rjmmusic Hi Ron,

Error: I must have been tired earlier. When I brought up the editor, as I glanced at the basic generic setup that is auto pre-loaded. Afterwards I loaded my ACTUAL setup, and sure enough, I had MIDI Receive Channel set to 1. If I ever changed that setting, it was back when I first got the GT22. I re-ran the test for a partial range (320-420) again looking to see if it handled #396 correctly. It did not, but instead of what I saw last time I tested, my AF3 displayed the correct preset chosen via the Select a Preset option on my GT22, while my GT22’s display is showing a preset I have in slot #61 on my AF3.

My setup for the GT22 is attached. Please let me know if you would like me to perform any specific change to see if it my resolve this odd behavior. I'll run it once again in the morning, and set it as normal (1-500) to validate that portion is still working.

I loaded FW19.01 onto my AF3 this evening, and have been running 19.00 and then 19.01b since they dropped. I haven't noticed any other issues to this point.

Cheers,
Lee
I loaded your settings and had it get presets 395-397 which seemed ok (but the presets are empty in my Axe-Fx). I also had it get 158-160 and that worked as well.

So, now we have to figure out what's different. I was using a Mac with Axe-Edit running. Latest versions of everything (except I don't have betas if there are any available). Are you guys running Mac or Windows? If you tried it with Axe-Edit running, try without and see if that helps any.

@rjmmusic
Ron,

I have an idea. I'm guessing (wondering) if you've ever had anything in slot #396? For this issue we're discussing, it seems to require a "Change" in the preset name of the one we are having difficulty with. So, maybe go in and change the name on 396, which is what I did, without building any preset. Then re-do your partial range query and see if you get the old name showing rather than the new name. I'm hoping this will present the issue.

As info, I'm on a MacMini M1 OS11.5.2, and I initially had AE open AE 1.10.07, but then closed it to make sure that wasn't somehow causing a glitch. On my AF3 I have FW19.01 (full).

Cheers,
Lee

Hello Ron,

Confirmed that issue being discussed ( Preset names/scene names not changing on GT ) is an issue whether Axe-Edit is open or closed .

As Lee has mentioned the problem occurs when a change is done to an existing preset name . See earlier post for exact details .

Check signature below for hardware / software specifics .

Thanks , Mike

AxeFxIII mk 1 - Running Newest Firmware 19.01 Final
Phantom Power Adapter - DIN7F (two inputs)
No other Midi devices connected
Newest Axe Edit ver. 1.10.07
Newest GT firmware 4.7.0
Windows 10 x64

Attachments

• 02-03-2022.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
FYI - Issue appears to be independent of O/S being used or Axe-Edit . Happens during standalone with AF3 connected to GT via 7 pin midi cable.

Issue again - If a name on a preset and or scene is modified on the AF3 and then set up on GT to retrieve that presets/ scene name data it does not retrieve name updates .. More informative details on post # 6 .

Thanks again , Mike

Newest GT firmware 4.7.0
Windows 10 x64

FYI - Issue appears to be independent of O/S being used or Axe-Edit . Happens during standalone with AF3 connected to GT via 7 pin midi cable.

Issue again - If a name on a preset and or scene is modified on the AF3 and then set up on GT to retrieve that presets/ scene name data it does not retrieve name updates .. More informative details on post # 6 .

Thanks again , Mike

Newest GT firmware 4.7.0
Windows 10 x64
I can verify this as well. Same thing going on here. Exact same setup.

Newest GT firmware 4.7.0
Windows 10 x64

So weird, I can run your settings here and it's still fine. I'm doing the exact same thing (edit preset 396's name, retrieve presets 380-420 with scene names), and name changes come through each time. I tried with a phantom power box, and without it, just in case that was an issue. Still fine. Also edited the name on the Axe-Fx itself as well as though Axe-Edit. No problems.

The only thing I noticed is that I had to click Save in Axe-Edit to save the name change (in Axe-Edit), even though it didn't light up to say the preset was modified. If I didn't save the preset, the name change would be lost.

If anyone experiencing the problem is willing and able to do some advanced MIDI monitoring so we can see the messages being sent & received, let me know. You would need either two MIDI interfaces, or a MIDI interface with two ports. This can be done with MIDI-OX on a PC or MIDI Monitor and MIDI Patchbay on a Mac.

Hmmm .

I am not completely ignorant to midi , but definitely not an expert . Are the interfaces you are recommending for recording midi data from the PC to the GT ? Or does this record transmissions from the GT to the AF3 ?

I do not currently own any interfaces but am always up for a challenge ;)

Thank you for helping out with this brain buster ...

Last edited:
This would be to monitor communication between GT and Axe-Fx. On a Mac, you don't need anything except free software to monitor communication between computer and Axe-Fx. Same for Windows, but you can only monitor in one direction (at least as far as I can tell).

The interface looks like what you need, although I have never used that one. This is the one I use all the time:

@rjmmusic @Justmc
I dug through my "ain't seen that in forever" box and I have an old Cakewalk UM-1G on hand. Would this suffice?

Edit: Doh, I'm sure we likely need a 2 x 2 at minimum, and this device is a 1 x 1, right?

Last edited:
@rjmmusic @Justmc

I ordered the E-mu 2x2 interface you mentioned Ron. Scheduled to arrive Wed., but we all know it'll get here when it gets here.
Mike, feel free to jump on the data, if you have an interface before me. I figured I may as well get the interface for any data analysis, present or future.

Lee

Thats great Lee.. was gonna call around to a few friends tonight to see what I could drum up. If I got nowhere I was going to place an order. Will reach out for further instructions if I am able to get my hands on one... Good luck on the detective work :cool:

Mike

Thats great Lee.. was gonna call around to a few friends tonight to see what I could drum up. If I got nowhere I was going to place an order. Will reach out for further instructions if I am able to get my hands on one... Good luck on the detective work :cool:

Mike
We’ll get this issue sorted. Just follow the money. Oh wait, another life, another time.

Lee

I should have mentioned this earlier, but you will need at least four 5-pin MIDI cables plus a 7-pin if you're using a phantom power box. You're probably using 2 or 3 cables already, but you'll need two more to connect the MIDI interface.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but you will need at least four 5-pin MIDI cables plus a 7-pin if you're using a phantom power box. You're probably using 2 or 3 cables already, but you'll need two more to connect the MIDI interface.
Thanks Ron. I'm good on this end. I have four of the 5-pin MIDI cables (verified before I ordered the new interface). I bought a new pair after my GT22 arrived and I was having a few issues. Always nice to eliminate questions about a given part, so you can move on to focus on other systems, while trouble-shooting.

Ok, here's how you set it up (on a Mac):

Mastermind MIDI Out -> MIDI In 1 on interface
Mastermind MIDI In -> MIDI Out 1 on interface
MIDI Out 2 on interface -> Axe-Fx MIDI In
MIDI In 2 on interface -> Axe-Fx MIDI Out
You can still use a phantom power box if you want - just connect the above "Mastermind" connections to the box and the box to MIDI Out as usual.

Install and run MIDI Patchbay:

Set up a patch from MIDI In 1 to MIDI Out 2 and MIDI In 2 to MIDI Out 1. This allows bidirectional communication to pass through the interface.

Install and run MIDI Monitor:

Then, edit a preset name and capture the communication as you do a Get Preset Names. You might want to turn off the Axe-Fx ports in MIDI Monitor so you don't see communication between Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit, and turn off everything in "Spy on Output to Destinations" so you don't get duplicate messages. You can also turn off MIDI Clock in the Filter section if you're seeing a lot of clock messages.

Thanks for giving this a shot! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Back