FIRMWARE 2.3 BETA 3

Re: FIRMWARE 2.3 BETA 2

Chris@KatsuKuriMedia said:
oh i was referring specifically to the setting of "IA Link" on each button that has a Scene Action. is that setting on? i know your buttons have a type of IA.

it works for me when i switch pages, only if IA Link is turned on for every Scene button. if i have 3 Scene 1 buttons on different pages, and just one of them have IA Link set off, none of the Scene 1 buttons are on when i change to a different page.

i'll try to test some more later.

All the "IA LINK" Settings are off on each button that has a Scene Action on my MM with 2.2 Firmware. I'm almost Positive I tried that option with 2.3. I'm going to reload the new Firmware today and try t again.

Ah, missed this beta release. Installing tomorrow.

EDIT: didn't wait and installed beta 2 right away.
So far my existing configuration seems to be fully preserved.

Scenes are now indicated correctly. Nice job. Definitively a vast improvement.

Fixes for the bugs I reported earlier: confirmed.

Didn't test the other stuff yet.

Alexander: Thanks for the report!

For the scene buttons, you'll need to have the buttons grouped together, and have Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change turned OFF. You can have IA Link turned on, but it doesn't really matter.

Some notes:

Update on Preset Change ON means that the GT will update the state of the button when you change presets
Update on Preset Change OFF means that the GT will not update the state of the button when you change presets, but the Axe-Fx (or KPA) is able to alter the state of the button.

IA Link ON means that pressing one IA button will update similar IA buttons to the same state. By "similar" we mean that the button's first actions are identical. Both IA buttons need to have IA Link turned on for this to happen.

As of 2.3, IA Link also works with IA buttons that have System / Preset as the first action. This will allow the button to highlight when the linked preset is active. For example, if you have an IA button that calls up preset 10, this button will highlight when you're on preset 10, regardless of what method you used to change to preset 10: IA button, a preset button, a MIDI program change, etc.

Re: FIRMWARE 2.3 BETA 1

QUESTION:

with the MMGT getting Scene status from the Axe, what options should be set for the Button as far as Send on Preset Change and Update State on Preset Change?

+1

Seems like there are not necessary anymore for scene indication (did not test).

FYI - Just edited my previous message to add a bunch of details.

Suggestion: please add a CANCEL button to the first PRESET MENU page, next to NEXT.
There’s room for it on the first page, the PREV button only appears from page 2.

Ok I figured out what the problem was. All working perfectly now!!!! :D

rjmmusic said:
For the scene buttons, you'll need to have the buttons grouped together, and have Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change turned OFF. You can have IA Link turned on, but it doesn't really matter.

Some notes:

Update on Preset Change ON means that the GT will update the state of the button when you change presets
Update on Preset Change OFF means that the GT will not update the state of the button when you change presets, but the Axe-Fx (or KPA) is able to alter the state of the button.

IA Link ON means that pressing one IA button will update similar IA buttons to the same state. By "similar" we mean that the button's first actions are identical. Both IA buttons need to have IA Link turned on for this to happen.

As of 2.3, IA Link also works with IA buttons that have System / Preset as the first action. This will allow the button to highlight when the linked preset is active. For example, if you have an IA button that calls up preset 10, this button will highlight when you're on preset 10, regardless of what method you used to change to preset 10: IA button, a preset button, a MIDI program change, etc.

Good info. Thanks. Still doing great with 2.3b2. Everything is working perfectly in my rig.

Rain said:
Ok I figured out what the problem was. All working perfectly now!!!! :D
can you share what it was?

I had a 2nd Set of Scene IA Buttons programmed on Page 2 that were Conflicting with the ones I had programmed on Page 1 :eek: . It's working perfect now.
Thanks for all your help.

Ron,

Again a big improvement.
I don't want to rain on your parade but:
- why only 127 macro's - I'm currently using 273 in the Gordius.
- why 1008 songs and "only" 640 presets?
I can understand you don't need a one-to-one relationship on songs-presets meaning you can use one preset in several songs.
But what I'm missing in songs is unique song commands like tempo, sysex, even cc commands to set some parameters.
I'm using this to set the harmonizer for certain songs.
I use one preset on the Axe-fx with a harmonizer, with a controller attached to the key and voice 1 & 2. So for any particular song, I send the command to set these values.

This is how I see my ideal controler:
Presets have two functions:
- define what PC's to send and what IA blocks can be activated. This way you only see the IA's on the controller that can be switched on/off.
- make combinations of IA blocks - a bit like scenes on the Axe-fx.
The buttons define the "scenes". For each button, you can activate the IA's (or send the commands) you need.
Since the preset has defined what IA's are contained in that particular preset on the Axe-Fx, all other IA's should be turned off.
So when selecting a delay and a chorus with button 1, only those should be turned on.
Next, if you press button 2 that activates only a drive, the delay and the chorus should be turned of.

It's a sort of Exclusive On.

I hope that makes sense.

A song can be based on a single preset.
In that case, you can set a preset command that can be sent when selecting that song.
Send tempo and other commands when selecting a song.
Ability to set "exclusive on" commands per button so you don't have to use a preset for this.
The controller should be able to hold in memory what IA's were turned on, so it can turn them off when needed.
for example:

With the first button, you turned on a chorus and a delay.
With the second button, you only want a phaser.
Since the controller "knows" the chorus and delay were turned on, it should turn them off so you only get the phaser.

127 macros - I didn't imagine anyone using more than that. Probably expandable with not much effort - I'd have to look at the memory management to see for sure. At the NAMM show right now so it's going to be a few days.

It was easy to expand the number of songs, but not easy to expand the number of presets because there's a lot more information in a song. One preset takes up the same space as 340 songs.

i'm wondering if "macros" are the same thing in each device though.

mr.e - can you describe what you do with a macro on the gordius? then maybe we can see why you have 273.

regardless, i'm not sure the mmgt needs to do everything other devices do :)

I'm wondering if "macros" are the same thing in each device though.
a macro is a macro - a collection of commands

Initializing presets: setting all blocks to "off"; resetting certain parameters,...
I use a lot for setting the intervals harmonizers and pitch shfters, also the key for harmonizers
Chords for my synths in the Axe-fs
Chords for my external synth
Sysex for setting tempo
Setting the program change for certain presets.
If I move presets on the Axe-fx, I only have to change the PC# in the macro.
All patches that are based on a certain preset in the Axe-fx change accordingly.
It's a bit like object oriented programming

I'm not sure the mmgt needs to do everything other devices do :)
Well, if it pretends to be the most advanced controller, it'll have to do what my Gordius can before I buy it.

let me shift the discussion back to Scenes on the Axe-Fx.

I helped out someone today who just updated to Beta 2 for the MMGT-16. He couldn’t get the Scene buttons on multiple pages to stay on.

He has 4 pages. 1-3 you press a Scene button and it flashes for a second (and selects the right scene on the Axe), but then it goes back to the Off state. However, on Page 4, the Scene button stays On, correctly selected from any of the other pages. If you select a different Scene from Page 4, that buttons stays On (and the Axe changes), but Pages 1-3 Scene buttons are all Off.

These buttons are grouped to Group 4, and IA Link, Update with Preset and Send with Preset were all off.

The only way I could get Scene buttons to display correctly is to have IA Link set ON for all Scene buttons. With it on, all pages showed the correct status of Scenes.

In a recent post on the forum, I know you said Update and Send with Preset should be off, while IA Link doesn’t matter.

I just wanted to report that it seems IA Link needs to be on for any Scene buttons. It's also strange that 1 of the pages worked correctly, while 3 others didn't. At any rate, IA Link On seems to do the trick.

another issue i just discovered - tempo and blinking with tempo

i had my blinking tempo setting off for a while, but just turned it back on to test some things out.

i have a Tempo button with an action of CC14 for the Axe Tempo, but this issue happens even if there is no action on the button and Flash w/ Tempo is turned on.

it seems that the axe tempo and rjm tempo are just not in sync. the button flashes at first in time with the correct bpm, but then it starts flashing double, as if it is receiving the Axe tempo data as well as its own internal tempo data. like one is set to 120 and the other is set to 128 or something. they flash together, then they separate, then they get close and flash together again, then separate, etc.

again, this happens with no action assigned to the button.

i have Midi clock set to OFF, but this still happens if it's set to master or slave. bidirectional midi is on. of course if i turn it off, it stops receiving Axe data and it blinks correctly. but then i don't get other functions of course.

anyone else experiencing this? i do have that Quadra setup, so let me strip it down and try MMGT straight to axe, but wanted to mention this. thanks.

Yes, I should amend that. IA Link didn't matter, but now in 2.3b2 and later, it definitely does.

Let me know what you find in the further testing of the tempo button - make sure that "Update on preset change" is turned off. That setting does a little more than the name indicates - when turned off, it also indicates that the Axe-Fx has control of the button's state. I'll look at this as well.

Chris, I experienced oddities with tempo when first started that sound similar to what you are mentioning. I would see random double flashes that didn't appear to be in time with anything. The setup was AxeFx 5pin->phantom power adapter->7pin GT. In my case tracked it back to the 5pin being too close to a power cable and it was picking up interference.

rjmmusic said:
Yes, I should amend that. IA Link didn't matter, but now in 2.3b2 and later, it definitely does.

Cool good to know i'm not going crazy :)

Let me know what you find in the further testing of the tempo button - make sure that "Update on preset change" is turned off. That setting does a little more than the name indicates - when turned off, it also indicates that the Axe-Fx has control of the button's state. I'll look at this as well.

i have some more time today, so i'll downgrade from beta and see if i have the same issue.

i'll also investigate adjacent cables as jjozwia suggested - i definitely have a bunch crammed in there right now haha

Back