MASTERMIND GT FIRWARE/EDITOR 4.1 beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MIDI settings on the Axe-Fx and the connections to the Axe-Fx are the things that would affect this. Have a look at the video I posted at the top of this thread - it shows all of the steps.

I checked out the video. I have:

On the Axe-Fx (1.15beta1):
Axe-Fx MIDI Channel = 1
Real Time Sysex = ON
Program Change = ON

On the GT (4.1beta2):
Axe-Fx MIDI Channel = 1
Bidirectional MIDI = OFF

Also, there are two MIDI cables running between the Axe-Fx and GT, one sending and the other receiving. Effects on/off button states correctly sync with the Axe-Fx during scene changes.

The problem persists. The Axe-Fx will not sync Scene names or Preset names when I follow the steps on the video. The Axe-Fx actually won't even sync Preset names only. I'm even starting simple and only attempting to sync Presets 1 - 5. The GT begins the process and reads "Get Preset Names" and the Axe-Fx loads Preset 1, but the GT bar never begins to fill, and hangs there until I manually stop the process.

Edit: I figured out the problem...

On the GT, in the Axe-Fx III's Device Settings menu, I have Direct Send PC/CCs = ON in order to accommodate some funky IA buttons I've got going on, and this option breaks the Preset and Scene name sync functionality. Setting this option to OFF resolves the issue and allows me to sync Preset and Scene names. This is easy enough to live with because the Direct Send PC/CCs toggle is right next to the Get Preset Names menu in the Axe-Fx Device Settings page so it's easy to toggle Direct Send back on right before I sync names, then back off when I'm done, with no extra required menu navigation.

Last edited:
I checked out the video. I have:

Edit: I figured out the problem...

On the GT, in the Axe-Fx III's Device Settings menu, I have Direct Send PC/CCs = ON in order to accommodate some funky IA buttons I've got going on, and this option breaks the Preset and Scene name sync functionality. Setting this option to OFF resolves the issue and allows me to sync Preset and Scene names. This is easy enough to live with because the Direct Send PC/CCs toggle is right next to the Get Preset Names menu in the Axe-Fx Device Settings page so it's easy to toggle Direct Send back on right before I sync names, then back off when I'm done, with no extra required menu navigation.

Ironically, I just ran into this myself 30 minutes ago. It will be fixed in the final 4.1 release.

mmgt%20bug.jpg

I have a strange screen with garbage on the LCD's after the update, no color, no preset on main screen, everything was fine with beta 1, did the update as usual, downloaded twice the beta 2 with same results. I can't access the setup menu once this on screen, had to go back to beta 1. Maybe a russian version of the software!

Fixed this for mine- Thanks Alexander!
Swap beta 2 for beta 1 file and reinstall in the mastermind. Then when it is finished, go to setup, System Functions, and Factory Reset. Once it resets, swap beta 1 for beta 2 on your thumb drive, then reinstall it. This should clear up all the Cyrillic Confusion! Now, on to expression pedals!

I use my iPad for sending PC with OnSong (connected with USB, midi merge checked), I sometimes use the same preset for different songs, but not the same scene. I dialed CC #34 in the Axe for it to respond to the specific scene I want, sending an extra CC #34 with PC from iPad to Axe. Problem is that the Axe display the right scene (say #4) but the GT16 show scene #1, stored setting in the GT. How can I have the GT sync to what scene is displayed on the hardware. I saw @Alexander talk about this sync problem as a bug. Do we have some news or solution?

I use my iPad for sending PC with OnSong (connected with USB, midi merge checked), I sometimes use the same preset for different songs, but not the same scene. I dialed CC #34 in the Axe for it to respond to the specific scene I want, sending an extra CC #34 with PC from iPad to Axe. Problem is that the Axe display the right scene (say #4) but the GT16 show scene #1, stored setting in the GT. How can I have the GT sync to what scene is displayed on the hardware. I saw @Alexander talk about this sync problem as a bug. Do we have some news or solution?

The Axe-Fx doesn't report changes to connected devices, and Cliff says there are no plans to do that. The only answer is to have the GT keep querying the Axe-Fx "what preset is selected?" and "what scene is selected?", over and over again to watch for changes. I really hate to have continuous MIDI chatter going like that, but if that's what people need, I guess I'll do it. Not yet sure that I'm going to hold up 4.1 to get this feature in, it's going to take a lot of testing because it could interfere with MIDI clock and other features.

Thanks Ron for the details. I understand that this continuous flow of midi data is far from ideal. Can I send some message from my iPad to the GT to make it show the wanted scene? It would be double work sending the right CC34 value to the Axe, and also another message (sysex or cc?) to the GT, but I won't mind doing it this way if it could do the trick.

If I save let’s say Preset 1 Scene 4 on my Axe FX III I just update my MMGT 22(Get Scenes) and it Works Perfectly.

Cautionary note!

The latest Axe-Fx III beta (1.15 Beta 2) changes stuff in the MIDI implementation.

This causes issues with preset names. You'll notice this after doing the Get Preset Names routine. Preset names may be blank.

I don't know what has been changed, but updated MIDI documentation will be posted by Cliff shortly.

Last edited:
Cautionary note!

The latest Axe-Fx III beta (1.15 Beta 2) changes stuff in the MIDI implementation.

This causes issues with preset names. You'll notice this after doing the Get Preset Names routine. Preset names may be blank.

I don't know what has been changed, but updated MIDI documentation will be posted by Cliff shortly.
Do You have to do a get preset name after you Update the Axe to Beta 2?

Do You have to do a get preset name after you Update the Axe to Beta 2?

Nope. No issues as long as you don't execute Get Preset Names.

I think that things are broken because the Sysex messages have been changed to include preset and scene numbers.

Last edited:

Could you instead attach your iPad to the GT, and send the midi commands there, then through to the AxeFX?

Could you instead attach your iPad to the GT, and send the midi commands there, then through to the AxeFX?
Sorry if it was unclear, the ipad is USB connected to the GT. I can send the midi cc to get the scene I want for a specific preset, the Axe respond correctly to it, but the GT don’t sync with the scene on the hardware. Ron explained why above, I don’t know what kind of message I could send as extra cc or sysex to the GT to make it show the scene I want.

Cautionary note!

Hi Alexander. Thanks for the warning. Hopefully today I will receive both my Axe FX3 and the GT22, so I can start working with both. Actally I was planning to use the Axe with 1.14, for the simple reason that I don't think it's a good idea to use two machines with beta-version SW (Speaking from my working experience in IT here ). My assumption is that this combination with 1.14 will work well. Only you won't have the extra's of the Axe 3- 1.15 beta. Is that correct? What are your experiences with that combination?

Lp59, just FYI, I do it the other way around. GT is master, iPad is slave.

My GT is my main controller which I use to select presets, songs, effects on the III. Those PCs are sent through a 2nd MIDI output on the GT/22 to my iPad with BandHelper. This way everything is synchronized.

This is one way only, can’t use the iPad to select songs, which works fine for me, but may not be your preferred approach.

Last edited:
Hi Alexander. Thanks for the warning. Hopefully today I will receive both my Axe FX3 and the GT22, so I can start working with both. Actally I was planning to use the Axe with 1.14, for the simple reason that I don't think it's a good idea to use two machines with beta-version SW (Speaking from my working experience in IT here ). My assumption is that this combination with 1.14 will work well. Only you won't have the extra's of the Axe 3- 1.15 beta. Is that correct? What are your experiences with that combination?

I’d say: wait a week or so and you’ll have fully operating versions of firmware for the III and GT, that’s think.

Last edited:
Lp59, just FYI, I do it the other way around. GT is master, iPad is slave.

My GT is my main controller which I use to select presets, songs, effects on the III. Those PCs are sent through a 2nd MIDI output on the GT/22 to my iPad with BandHelper. This way everything is synchronized.

This is one way only, can’t use the iPad to select songs, which works fine for me, but may not be your preferred approach.

I understand your work flow, are the midi out xlr and din to separate midi outs on the GT22? I only have the GT16 with only one midi out. But the merge function is really handy allowing to connect my iPad with a short USB cable and adapter direct to the USB port of the GT.
I'm still hopping I can send a message from my iPad to the GT for showing the correct scene.

I could also create other instances of a given preset on the GT, just with a different scene stored at default. But I'm in a state of mind that less presets I have to manage, the better it is!

The GT has a single MIDI input, which would require be used by the III as well as iPad. Using a hardware merger as a solution would not be compatible with single-cable/bidirectional MIDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back