Suggestions, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here, but looking for a nice solution when it comes to midi controllers.

Anyhow, to me it comes down to two things; size and price.

The GT looks like a really cool controller with everything you could wish for, but I'm concerned about the price. The LCD displays probably drive the price, right?
My suggestion would be to keep the touch LCD (cool feature and allows for in-depth editing on the unit), drop the small LCDs and go for multicolored LEDs instead. This may have an impact on the feature set, but 12 IAs is plenty, and if you could add a feature (maybe a "function" or "2nd" button) that switched between two sets of IAs you could even have 24 IAs without the need for an expander -- just change the color of the LED to indicate which set you are currently using. That should suit most peoples needs when it comes to guitar rack control.

Keep innovating!
/Tom-Andrew

Hey Ron, its Chris,I own the rg16 and the mastermind.using them for couple yrs now...flawless.they r so fast n simple to use.with that said.I love the new gt idea.definatly should have a choice of all presets or ia and presets like the rocktron. I use presets..2 rows of presets and 3rd for ia,would b cool.I love the digital readout above each switch.no one else offers that. Actually a choice of color of unit would be cool.but yeah no black too dark on stage already.keep up good work!

Will the controller have the capability to group IA buttons together, so that when one button in a group is turned on it will turn the others off? Very useful for amp channel switching, among other things. It's something both the Axess and Liquid Foot controllers do but the GCP (my current controller) does not.

TheEnemyWithin said:
Will the controller have the capability to group IA buttons together, so that when one button in a group is turned on it will turn the others off? Very useful for amp channel switching, among other things. It's something both the Axess and Liquid Foot controllers do but the GCP (my current controller) does not.
Yes, it was already doing this on the prototype at NAMM.

Will this foot controller have the ability to display patch names natively from a unit like the Boss GT-Pro? I currently own a Roland FC-300 and was supremely disappointed at the fact that the FC-300 can only get patch information if hooked to a device via its RJ-45 port. I have also asked Boss to update its firmware to the GT-Pro to somehow allow the USB port to carry that kind of information and maybe build a combination y-cable that would connect the Midi ports (Midi in and midi out) on the back of the GT-Pro, along with its USB port and convert all three to an RJ-45 cable that can be used to connect to the FC-300 and allow it to display patch information along with Midi instructions.

The least Boss or Roland could do is put out the source code for the firmware so people could tinker with it and make it work.

Would you guys be interested in using my GT-Pro and FC-300 as guinea pigs?

Jimmy

I definitely want to be able to do remote patch display, but it is going to be up to each manufacturer to provide support for it - they've got to send the patch information to us over the wire for us to be able to display it.

and therein lies the problem as not all fx processors send patch name info by default over the midi out, some send nothing at all. The GT Pro varies in what is sent depending on whether FC200 mode is selected although it will return info from specific sysex commands

What about two or 3 9VDC outputs you can power your tuner and wah and what-have-you from the rack via phantom power?

Not sure if that's possible to implement, but it's just something I've been wishing for for a while.

JordonGWP said:
What about two or 3 9VDC outputs you can power your tuner and wah and what-have-you from the rack via phantom power?

Not sure if that's possible to implement, but it's just something I've been wishing for for a while.
That was on the list for inclusion at NAMM, just not ready on the prototype.

The big rub here is that the makers of each piece of gear have to supply the information on what SYSEX messages are sent contining the patch information. We've reverse engineered some of the text information coming out of the VG-99 and are working on the GR-55 (both Roland devices). Even when we do get the spec (as we had for one of those products) it ended up not all being correct.
That reverse engineering process is not very much fun, but it's also not complete rocket science, either. I could see that there might be a business case for someone doing all of the documentation necessary to receive the patch information from a collection of commonly used MIDI devices.

But note that NOT ALL THAT MANY devices even send their patch name information via SysEx. For those of us who DO use devices which DO send this info (like the VG-99, GR-55 and apparently the GT-Pro, it would be a hugely useful feature.

I'm working with a major effects manufacturer right now on the spec for their 'next generation' device and I'll surely be recommending that they implement this feature.

Last note: While Roland claims that the FC-300 can only receive this information via the RJ-45 connector on the back, the information that hit's that RJ-45 is just plain ol MIDI. Nothing special. So, in theory someone could make a little adapter cable which would allow standard MIDI messages to be sent/received from that port. It's really the SENDING device (the Roland VG-99, in my case) that I need to put this little adapter onto.

I did note that the Mastermind GT had an RJ-45 connector on it. Perhaps it could have a "Roland RRC2" (which is what Roland calls this fancy MIDI over twisted pair standard) Mode in which one could connect directly to devices like the VG-99. Rest assured, though, Roland won't be hopping up and down offering to provide the full SysEx spec for that connection anytime soon.

My 9 cents for today ;-)

jb4674 said:
Will this foot controller have the ability to display patch names natively from a unit like the Boss GT-Pro? I currently own a Roland FC-300 and was supremely disappointed at the fact that the FC-300 can only get patch information if hooked to a device via its RJ-45 port. I have also asked Boss to update its firmware to the GT-Pro to somehow allow the USB port to carry that kind of information and maybe build a combination y-cable that would connect the Midi ports (Midi in and midi out) on the back of the GT-Pro, along with its USB port and convert all three to an RJ-45 cable that can be used to connect to the FC-300 and allow it to display patch information along with Midi instructions.

The least Boss or Roland could do is put out the source code for the firmware so people could tinker with it and make it work.

Would you guys be interested in using my GT-Pro and FC-300 as guinea pigs?

Jimmy

Thanks, Vance! That describes the situation exactly. We can only work with these effects processors as much as their MIDI implementation allows. And, if the manufacturers don't want to divulge any information, we'd have to reverse engineer. I have to look into the legality of reverse engineering as well - don't want to open up a can of worms... :(

All I can say for sure is that we're going to build in as much support as we can!

Hi

I have few questions:
1. What is the aproximative date to put it on the marcket ?? When do I will able yo buy it ??
2.My plan is to past my futur MM GT in a RG-16 for control an Axe-FX and a Mesa Boogie Mark V. Do I will able to do that ??
3. If I creat a patch in my axe-fx, does the RG-16 select this patch or ,for example, the button one(on the RG-16) is for delay, two is for reverb... ???

We're not sure on a date yet, but are estimating Fall 2011.

It'll definitely be able to control an RG-16 and an Axe-Fx. The RG-16 won't control the Axe-Fx (except to switch it out of your audio path), but the buttons on the MMGT will be able to control individual effects on the Axe-Fx.

Ok, thanks !!!!

If the Rg-16 won't control the Axe-Fx, but the MMGT can control it, can I control the RG-16(for my amp) and the Axe-Fx with the MMGT in the same time ??? If don't what do you suggest me if I want to use the patch of the AxeFx in my preset(example: amp: chanel 3 with patch 10 on axe-fx: delay, reverbs and comp.) and I want to be able to press the button and have this efect. I'm explain: in ''preset mode'' I want to use patch on my axe-FX (ex: chanel 3(amp) with patch 10(axe-fx) but in ''free'' mode (no preset just press the button I want) control all effect individually. I want preset 1,2,3,4,5...(for show) and I want button for amp chanel and effect individualy. What do tou suggest me for that ??

Last question: do you have an aproximate price ?? thanks a lot !!!!

Cpt Flake said:
If the Rg-16 won't control the Axe-Fx, but the MMGT can control it, can I control the RG-16(for my amp) and the Axe-Fx with the MMGT in the same time ???
Yes, you can control up to 16 devices at the same time.

Hello,
I think this is a great controller you are developing.
Will this unit be able to send "note on" messages to samplers, Keys, and etc?
I currently use a Roland FC-300 for this. I just wish it had more controller switches,
to start songs, control my presets & instant controller switches.

Cheers.

Yes, it'll send note on/off, transport control, sysex - we're trying to make it as versatile as possible.

MartinCliffe said:
Cpt Flake said:
If the Rg-16 won't control the Axe-Fx, but the MMGT can control it, can I control the RG-16(for my amp) and the Axe-Fx with the MMGT in the same time ???
Yes, you can control up to 16 devices at the same time.

But there is just one Midi out on the MMGT, how can I control the axe-fx and the RG-16 with only one midi out ??

MIDI is a serial connection - you can daisy-chain devices using the MIDI Thru port. So device 1 MIDI out > device 2 MIDI in // device 2 MIDI thru > device 3 MIDI in // device 3 MIDI thru > device 4 MIDI in etc. In practice, you probably don't want to connect more than 4 or 5 devices together like this, because every extra device increases the risk of data loss, which is why MIDI Thru boxes such as those made by MIDI Solutions exist (and work very well indeed!)

Also, technically the MMGT has two MIDI outs - there's the standard 5-pin DIN connector, and there's also a MIDI over XLR connector. I assume (I'd have to check with Ron to be sure) that you could run them in parallel, to connect to more devices without data loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back