Suggestions, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ron & Sheri,
I was just watching the Mastermind GT vids on youtube NAMM etc..and without looking through every post in this thread,wondered if you had given any thought to some form of
protection for the touch screen...as in during live performances.
I write from the experience of having multiple pints of beer,water and physical abuse (by audiences & awkward footed vocalists !) suffered by a previous GCX Ground Control of mine which eventually rendered it unusable...the display was the first to go !
I tried to think of ways to protect it from these kind of accidents, apart from having it behind me and far enough away from the audience so as to make its practical use limited I never came
up with a good idea.

I imagine that depending on the GT as the brains of your setup means your going to be pretty stumped if the display gets damaged (your Macbook pro`s pretty useless when the screen is knackered !).....what about some kind of sliding shield transparent or not that would protect the screen ?
Anyway,its just a thought...I imagine cost effective wise you have to draw up a list of absolute priorities to feature on the GT so maybe this idea wouldnt be one of those....speaking of the
flexibility and features youve confirmed so far are great...practical and allow you to get on with the music....I really like having the inclusion of power supply outputs for tuners etc..that really keeps a setup flexible and neat !

Best wishes
miccav

Check out the post "A New Idea..." on this forum. We've decided to abandon the touch screen idea for reliability, cost and other reasons. The touchscreen will be replaced with a somewhat larger non-touch LCD, and without a touch screen, we can put the display behind something more sturdy like Plexiglass. That will keep it well protected against anything short of gunfire. :)

The touch interface will be moved to iPhone, iPad and eventually Android apps, but the built in editing interface will be very usable as well - much easier than previous controllers!

I'm working on what I hope is the final hardware design now. I hope to get some pics up here in the next couple of weeks.

Ron,

I understand you are looking into the possibility of having the GT have some form of DAW control as well.. I'm a ProTools user and just based on experience, my wish list would be to have the ability at a minimum to do full transport control. Also it would be really cool if you could program repetitive steps, for multiple takes, loop recording, etc..

Another thought is to be able to integrate a large trackball that you could control with your foot as a cursor control funtion..perhaps something through the expansion ports???

Anyway ..just a few ideas..

Randy

Ron, Can you share any details on the editor for Mac? The primary use I will have for the GT is midi control of a digital mixer (Yammy 01V96) and potentially ProTools. I'm curious how the S/W might ease in the midi linkage with this device...

Randy

PS If you are looking for Beta testers for something like this, especially with PT..please advise...

Transport control, is definitely on the to-do list. It seems like a really useful thing to support for guys who are tracking on their own and don't want to have to run over to the computer after every take. I don't know the extent of how programs like Protools and Logic can be controlled externally, but I'd like to provide as much control of them as much as possible.

I hadn't thought about a trackball - interesting! I need to think about that.

The editing software isn't at all nailed down except for some ideas in my head - I do want specific support for popular programs and devices, where the GT editor knows the messages and parameters they expect so you don't have to look up a million CC numbers and type them in.

Interesting... it looks like that Multi button can send key presses to the computer in order to get the recording software to do things. The GT will have USB connectivity, but I had not thought about making it emulate a USB keyboard for that purpose... Hmmm....

Hey Ron. Still taking feature suggestions?

the potential of the switches with displays could be enormous. Here's a feature I came up with: "parameter swap" :)
Basically it's a new kind of function for an IA switch. It toggles or scrolls through parameter sets assigned to the exp.pedals. I used to have 3 exp-pedals, but only had a few presets utilizing them all. It would make much more sense to have less physical pedals on the board, and rather have some means to alternate what they do! After all, we only have one foot to controll them (if we are standing)...

Most of us have 1-2 exp-pedals that are 85% of the time set to the same parameters, like wah and volume. It would be a drag to have a third pedal for whammy if I only use it once in a blue moon. If I did, I would gladly share the wah exp-pedal with the whammy and just "swap" the cc's :cool: Also, one of the most common things we program on exp.pedals, are general levels and fx-mixes. Those could easily share the same physical pedal, and just swap the cc's and adjust the delay levels to taste, ans switch back to volume. It would suck to program totally independent presets just for this. Pedalboards should be inspiring you to "improvise" with tones and tonal possibilities. I have always felt more creative with sounds, with traditional pedalboards, than pre-programmed preset based midiboards..

Also with todays processors, like the axe-fx, it is possible to have a huuuuuge amount of stuff in one preset. I'm sure axe-fx could be capable of a parameter swap, but I think it would be better in a foot controller, as it could give the possibility to switch with different devices! Any thoughts?

-Tom-

We're shooting for March/April of next year. Price is probably going to be in the $1000-1500 range.

Maybe this is a good time to start a new thread to contain a list of features that we can confirm. Please check in the forum for this post.

It looks like the liquid foot is starting to ship, for what it's worth. I am holding out to see your final product though as I like the idea of more switches on a single unit. How are things progressing?

All the best and happy new year,

makoto

Things are coming along pretty well, never as quickly as I like, but we're still shooting for March/April. Had some particularly good progress today (holidays are the best for uninterrupted work!)

Sorry if this is an obvious question or has already been answered, but is there a way to receive a midi clock from another device (sequencer etc.) and assign one of the LED's blink as a visual metronome for starting songs at the right tempo?

Or I guess just use tap tempo to program the controller to blink at that tempo when that patch is called up?

Here's my pennyworth.

1 - Six isolated 9v DC power outputs. I would need 5 - Radio receiver, Tuner, Wah controller, Whammy & Buffer.

2 - Instant Access switches should send a minimum of 2 CC & 2 PC messages per switch.

Love the touch screen - genius.
I'm looking forward to the GT.

I can tell you for sure that your request #2 will be satisfied (and then some). Honestly, there probably won't be that many power outlets, probably more like 2.

I hate to disappoint, but there will no longer be a touchscreen on the GT. There will be a larger main LCD, but the touch based interface will be moved to iPhone/iPad/Android. Please check out the post "A new idea..." for the rationale behind the change.

The good news is that we will have a more road-worthy product and the on-board editing interface will still be vastly improved over any other MIDI controller than I'm aware of.

So time for the 64K question...

Is this product anywhere near completion and will it be available for sale in the VERY near future?
I am getting old, my hair is falling out, I am getting a pot belly and my chances of becoming the next "big Thing" are fading away.
If I only had a new midi foot controller I think I might still have a chance.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Very near future? Depends on your definition of "very". We're looking at a summer release now. A much larger percentage of the issues are dealt with now, so our odds of the schedule slipping again are quite a bit less than before.

I wish it was already out there on the market, but this is a HUGE project and I'm pretty much doing it all by myself. Hardware, firmware, mechanical design...

Sorry I've been so quiet, but it's pretty evident that the competition is taking notes so I don't want to give anything else away until we're very close to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back