Using PBC/10 Insert loop as tuner out

ZachSelindh

Hey guys!

I'm redoing my Mastermind PBC-based board and am seeking the easiest solution to integrate an always-on tuner. I have a Sonic Research ST-300 mini that fits my accuracy and size needs, but mutes the signal when it's in the path (the normal-sized ST-300 has a tuner monitor option, the mini does not).

I'm maxed out on power outlets and would like to avoid splitting my signal with another buffer if possible.

I came across this post stating that the insert loop could be used as a tuner out if the tuner is only connected to the send:

However, when I connected a standard mono TS cable to my "Out 1-4" jack and my tuner input, it mutes my signal, where I expected based on the above post that without anything plugged into "In 5-6" that the PBC would split my signal at the insert send and pass it through to the next loops.

Anyone have any experience I can benefit from? Do I need a special cable?

Thanks in advance!

The loop 4/5 insert is fully normalled, meaning anything plugged in to those jacks will break the connection. If you can use the loop 6/7 insert, that's half-normalled, and will not interrupt the signal flow if something is plugged into Out 5-6. I should have been more clear in the original post.

Thanks for replying! That makes perfect sense. Since the 6/7 insert is after modulation for me, I found a different way to split my signal for a tuner.

The loop 4/5 insert is fully normalled, meaning anything plugged in to those jacks will break the connection. If you can use the loop 6/7 insert, that's half-normalled, and will not interrupt the signal flow if something is plugged into Out 5-6. I should have been more clear in the original post.
Is the out 5/6 half normalled spec mentioned in the manual? I didn't know that fact.

Back