USING THE GT WITH AN AXE-FX I or II

Option 1 - plug a flash drive into the GT. Hold the two small buttons under the main display until it goes into setup mode. Press System Functions, then press Save Settings. Press the small button under the right side of screen to save. Bring the drive over to your computer, copy the file to the computer and attach the file to an email.

Option 2 - install the editor software, plug the GT into your computer using a USB cable. In the editor, go to the Transfer menu and select Read Settings from Device. The in the File menu, select Save and save the file to disk. Attach the file to an email.

Hey there! My previous midi cable died so I purchased a 5pin midi from Sweetwater to hook up my GT16 into my axefx XL +. It switches the presets fine but the tap tempo and tuner will not work with the new cable. Is this due to a faulty cable or did I get the wrong one. I specifically checked that I was ordering a 5p midi. Thanks!
Mitch

Normal MIDI only needs 3 of the 5 wires, so a lot of manufacturers are saving a few pennies by not wiring 2 of the pins. But, bidirectional MIDI like we and Fractal use needs all 5 pins.

Hey there! My previous midi cable died so I purchased a 5pin midi from Sweetwater to hook up my GT16 into my axefx XL +. It switches the presets fine but the tap tempo and tuner will not work with the new cable. Is this due to a faulty cable or did I get the wrong one. I specifically checked that I was ordering a 5p midi. Thanks!
Mitch
Do you have sysex checked for tuner and tempo in the Axe?

Hi, I sometimes like to create and save axe fx patches on the axe fx itself, but would sometimes like to use the GT to make changes and save them.

I now have the GT set up with the axe as master. So the block states etc from my axe presets are represented on the GT. But if I edit a preset using the GT, I have to press save on the axe fx itself. Saving axe presets via midi is possible, if you send a 'volume inc' or 'volume dec' midi cc, the axe fx saves the preset including current block states etc.

So I was thinking, would it be possible to add both 'volume inc' and 'volume dec' to the IA store button? I can't figure out how to do that. If possible, I would have all the benefits of the GT reading settings from the axe fx, and also can store changes on the fly.

It seems logical to me, or am I totally missing the point here? Is there some other way to do this?

Cheers

That's a good idea - unfortunately, there's no way to do it at the moment, but if I created an IA Store action, then it could be added to any IA button.

I made some changes to my GT/22 configuration. Now the bottom row on its own serves 3 purposes:
  1. preset switching (primary)
  2. scene switching (through "hold")
  3. amp switching (through "IA Mode"): choose between AMP1 and AMP2, and switch between X/Y, while staying in the same Axe-Fx preset.
To be able to use these switches for fast scene switching by holding them, I've set the HOLD time to 300 ms.

To turn the bottom switches into "amp channel select" buttons, I've assigned IA Mode to bottom switch #6 and renamed it into "AMPS". Besides switches 1-4, none of the other switches change after engaging IA Mode.

The best case scenario would have been to have 4 switches, assigned to AMP1-X, AMP1-Y, AMP2-X and AMP2-Y. "Grouped" to be mutually exclusive. The difficulty with programming such switches is that the Axe-Fx does not provide straight MIDI CCs to select such 4 "channels". Instead, the MIDI CC for AMP1 or AMP2 must be sent, along with the correct AMP1 X/Y and AMP2 X/Y command. When grouped, this can lead to various issues concerning LEDs, both amp blocks being engaged or bypassed instead of one, not displaying the current state etc. etc.

So I settled for the second best option: AMP1 - X/Y - AMP2 - X/Y. This works well, without issues. Switches 1 and 3 are grouped, and SndOffMessage for this group is enabled on the RJM.

1.JPG 2.JPG

Last edited:
Hi, I sometimes like to create and save axe fx patches on the axe fx itself, but would sometimes like to use the GT to make changes and save them.

I now have the GT set up with the axe as master. So the block states etc from my axe presets are represented on the GT. But if I edit a preset using the GT, I have to press save on the axe fx itself. Saving axe presets via midi is possible, if you send a 'volume inc' or 'volume dec' midi cc, the axe fx saves the preset including current block states etc.

So I was thinking, would it be possible to add both 'volume inc' and 'volume dec' to the IA store button? I can't figure out how to do that. If possible, I would have all the benefits of the GT reading settings from the axe fx, and also can store changes on the fly.

It seems logical to me, or am I totally missing the point here? Is there some other way to do this?

Cheers

Isn't this possible using a macro?

I now have an ‘axe store’ button, next to my ‘ia store’ burton. I saw that in the pbc 4.0 update a system - ia store action is added. If this would be added to the next gt update, I could store both axe fx and gt settings using one button.

Back