USING THE GT WITH AN AXE-FX I or II

laurentius said:
Is there a way to make the mmgt recall the last used preset when powering it again? Even better if this was possible in Setlist mode as well?

Thanks,
L.

Currently not possible, but it's a good idea!

I recently go my MMGT/16 and so far I'm loving it. It's every bit of awesome that I hoped for. I'll post some more findings when I've been playing with it a bit more. Alexanders "blog" was very helpful (as expected) to get going and I copied most of his settings.

One issue I have with it is that the hold function doesn't engage unless the non-hold function is present. Have a look at this screenshot:

57B27C9D-A6B8-412C-BB8E-BA736F0982FD_zpstibh1glp.jpg

I like to play around with the Axe Fx 2 factory presets for inspiration and I wanted to make it all accessible from one page. On one button I have the Phaser as the standard IA and Flanger as the hold IA. Factory preset 1, 59 Bassguy, has a Flanger but not a Phaser. With this setting it's not possible to engage the Flanger.

Sometimes I've seen the opposite - it looks like the Chorus should be available, and it will look like it's clickable if the Reverb is present in the preset.

Since the light is lighting the entire button, I know it's not possible to just light up half of the button. But maybe it would be possible to remove the text, or use line-though text, or do something else to provide feedback in this case?

Another thing I've just noticed. Again, for playing around with factory presets, I thought I'd use an empty page, and leave it outside of the max button page. The thinking here was that the max button page is what's cycling through all pages before going back to 1. So I created a page 14 and assigned that to a few factory presets. The preset buttons work and bank up and down works, but none of the configured IA's work. If I set the max button page to 14 everything works, but I would want to leave this page outside of my normal page rotation.

I just remembered that sometime last week I tried to do the same thing with a specific page. Again, I want to have 2 or 3 pages that rotate through with the page up/down. And I had a thought that for a specific preset, I wanted to be able to jump to another page, say page 5 with some special functions that was only available for that preset. But it wasn't possible to use the System -> Page: function to jump to any higher page than 3, when I have the max button page set to 3.

Would it be possible to leave the higher page numbers available and functioning, and use the max button page when cycling through the pages with the page up/down function?

Thanks for the feedback!

I hadn't thought about a the case where the hold function of a button needs to be disabled. I'll use one of your suggestions to change the text to indicate that the function is not disabled.

The Max Page limit does limit how many pages are actually processed by the system. On the to-do list is a way to specify limits on the page up and page down buttons. For now, you could create a IA button on page 1 that calls up page 2, an IA button on page 2 that calls up page 3, and an IA button on page 3 that calls up page 1.

Hi Johan, good to read that you have a MM GT now.
I need to update that 'blog'. I changed some stuff due to recently added fw features and stuff.
I've settled in a config that works fantastic for me.
I still need to shoot a video: the things you can do with a single preset and a GT/22.

Thanks Ron, sounds great. I think I'll just make the "factory preset page" number 4 for now and just skip that when scrolling through my normal presets.

Alexander (feels weird not calling you Yek :)), yes, I know, it's awesome. When I got my Axe Fx 2, the one overarching feeling I had when I sat down with it was "limitless possibilities". Whatever I wanted to do, I could do. And then with the MFC, it just felt really constrained and not at all like I had limitless possibilities. Like it was really designed as an afterthought. Not really the visionary thinking from the Axe Fx 2 but rather, this is just sort of an integrated version of what everyone else has done. And now with the MMGT, this feels a lot more Fractal-like to me where my "limitless possibilities" are back. Whatever I think up how I want to do things, I can (pretty much) do. I love the local preset page which sort of replaces the scene naming feature that "should" be in the Aex Fx 2.

I've setup the MMGT as a complete slave device and keep all configuration of what blocks are enabled in the Axe Fx 2. I've set all IA's with "Send on preset change" and "Update state on preset change" disabled. This seems to work for IA's, although I haven't really looked into the specifics yet. There seems to be an issue in the latest firmware that doesn't enable Scene 1 when I select a new preset. Not entirely sure exactly if it's reproducable.

Also, how do I set the default button state for local pages? I have a preset with a local page, for some reason, it has decided that Scene 5 should be the default enabled. I unselect "Edit Local Buttons" in the Editor (Mac), click on Scene 1 which is now enabled, enable "Edit Local Buttons" and Scene 5 has now been selected again???

Johan Allard said:
Also, how do I set the default button state for local pages? I have a preset with a local page, for some reason, it has decided that Scene 5 should be the default enabled. I unselect "Edit Local Buttons" in the Editor (Mac), click on Scene 1 which is now enabled, enable "Edit Local Buttons" and Scene 5 has now been selected again???

Just last night, I found some issues in the editor and I'm just about to upload an update - it may help with your situation.

rjmmusic said:
Just last night, I found some issues in the editor and I'm just about to upload an update - it may help with your situation.

You might have fixed a different issue then :)

Have a look at this video: http://youtu.be/AVSsyCL0Q3s

I have a few scenes on this local page. I cannot make scene 1 the default in the editor or on the device?

With the page issue, I was thinking I could just spend some time in front of the TV to copy a page to the local page on all factory presets. Are there any local page limits or similar that I should be aware of?

Johan Allard said:
rjmmusic said:

You might have fixed a different issue then :)

Have a look at this video: http://youtu.be/AVSsyCL0Q3s

I have a few scenes on this local page. I cannot make scene 1 the default in the editor or on the device?

Ok, I see now. The buttons are set to be controlled by the Axe-Fx, and not by the GT's internal settings. On the actual GT, the buttons will report whichever scene the Axe-Fx is currently on. On the editor, it will default to the first scene always.

To change this, turn on the "Send on Preset Change" and "Update on Preset Change" setting for each of the scene buttons. This will make the buttons pay attention to the GT's internal memory. You'll be able to save the scene button state and the GT will make the scene change when you change presets.

Johan Allard said:
With the page issue, I was thinking I could just spend some time in front of the TV to copy a page to the local page on all factory presets. Are there any local page limits or similar that I should be aware of?

All 640 presets can have their own local page. The only thing that you'll notice is that the settings file gets larger (and transfer time takes longer) as you add more local pages.

rjmmusic said:
Ok, I see now. The buttons are set to be controlled by the Axe-Fx, and not by the GT's internal settings. On the actual GT, the buttons will report whichever scene the Axe-Fx is currently on. On the editor, it will default to the first scene always.

To change this, turn on the "Send on Preset Change" and "Update on Preset Change" setting for each of the scene buttons. This will make the buttons pay attention to the GT's internal memory. You'll be able to save the scene button state and the GT will make the scene change when you change presets.

Thanks Ron,

worked great! Thanks for the info on the local scenes as well.

If anyone has an Axe-Fx II XL+, please let me know! I want to make sure that it's working with GT firmware 2.3.3. Thanks!

Hi Ron,

I think I found an issue, or possibly that I don't know how to do something. I wanted to create two buttons, Button 1: Scene 1, and Button 2, Cycle: Scene 2, 3, 4 & 5.

- First, even if I named the steps Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5. It shows correct in the editor but on the MMGT it shows Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, Step 4.
- It seems that the first time I step on button 2, it will take me to Step 2/Scene 3.
- Grouping button 1 and 2 doesn't seem to work at all when there's steps involved.
- Is there a way to reset button 2? Basically when I step on button 1 and then button 2, I always want to engage the first step on button 2. And only subsequent presses would engage step 2, 3 and 4.

I can see other setups where this would be really useful. Like having 4 buttons for Scene 1-4, and a second press on button 1 would engage scene 5. Second on button 2 would engage scene 6 and so on and with 4 buttons and maximum 2 presses I could reach all 8 scenes. But this only really work if the buttons reset themselves when grouped. So I press button 1 twice to take me to Scene 5, I then press once on button 2 and that will always take me to Scene 2. Then press twice on button 3 and that will always take me to Scene 7, and so on.

Am I missing something in the configuration or is this functionality possible to add?

Currently, Cycle buttons can't be linked to other buttons. This is something I'd like to change at some point, but will take a while.

Scene support is its own separate thing, so I may be able to get it working with cycle buttons first, before I can implement a more general solution for cycle buttons.

I'll look at step naming, also, and see what's going on there.

Alexander said:
Johan, why not assign button 2 to Scene Increment?
There's a dedicated CC for that.

Yes Alexander, that would work around the first issue, but not the second of having Scene buttons 1-4 step 2 to 5-8 and back. And yes, I could potentially work around that as well by using Scene 1, 3, 5 and 7 with step 2 being scene increase to make them 2, 4, 6 and 8. But this would still not solve the issue of wanting to group step'd buttons.

I'm kind of surprised I'm the first one to try this :)

Back