MASTERMIND GT 4.1beta1 FIRMWARE/EDITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron, many thanks for keeping an open mind and listening to your customers!

FWIW, I tried the new Scenes paradigm once more, to see if I judged it too quickly. I can see the logic behind it. But I'm afraid the feeling remains.

Last edited:
Ok, in thinking about this there are two possibilities for scene names:

Option 1: Dynamic Names
With this option, scene names are downloaded every time you load a preset, and scene buttons are automatically updated to display those names.

Advantages:
  • Scene names will always represent what's currently stored in the Axe-Fx, no need to explicitly download scene names
Disadvantages:
  • Scene names are not stored, so they will not be visible in the editor
  • Scene names have to be queried upon each preset change, one by one. This will be fairly quick (less than a second), but probably slow enough that you'll see each scene button visibly update one after the other after you change presets.
Option 2: Static Names
Using this option, scene names are downloaded using Get Preset Names, and are (probably) stored in each GT preset.

Advantages:
  • Scene names will be visible and editable in the editor
  • Scene button names will change as quickly as any other button
Disadvantages:
  • You need to do a Get Preset Names (or manually edit names) to update scene names if they've been changed on the Axe-Fx

Any opinions on this? I have a preference, but I won't mention it yet.

With this option, scene names are downloaded every time you load a preset, and scene buttons are automatically updated to display those names.

Advantages:
  • Scene names will always represent what's currently stored in the Axe-Fx, no need to explicitly download scene names
Disadvantages:
  • Scene names have to be queried upon each preset change, one by one. This will be fairly quick (less than a second), but probably slow enough that you'll see each scene button visibly update one after the other after you change presets.
Using this option, scene names are downloaded using Get Preset Names, and are (probably) stored in each GT preset.

Advantages:
Disadvantages:
  • You need to do a Get Preset Names (or manually edit names) to update scene names if they've been changed on the Axe-Fx

Static Names

Advantages:
Disadvantages:

Advantages:
Disadvantages:

I pick option 2 because I want to be able to see the scene names and be able to edit them in the editor. Having to GetPresetNames is fine to me but I’m sure others may disagree.

I actually like the way the current system works with scenes on the bottom versus presets. It seems more intuitive to me.

Hmm, difficult. I think I'm leaning towards: Dynamic.

Reason is that I don't need to see or edit Scene names in the editor. That's totally something that belongs at the Axe-Fx side of things. I want my GT to just import and display them; I can edit them on the Axe-Fx.
If fetching scenes names is under 1 sec, I wouldn't mind I think.

If it's gonna be Static, then I'd love to see Get Preset Names added as an action for IA buttons, for quick access.

Last edited:
Put me down for Static. Although I dont care about seeing in the editor, i dont edit the scene names enough to need instant updates, get presets is good enough for me.

Another minor bug in the Scenes-To-Presets system:

I want to assign a button to a specific song (= preset). But IA > Button Actions > Function > Song > (...) results in unnamed Scene buttons on the bottom row after pressing the "song" switch.

Last edited:
Guys, as I mentioned to Ron in another thread, the Scenes-to-Presets thing is growing on me.
You might want to give it a chance.

Here's my experimental GT layout, based on it. And it works fine, aside from a few bugs which will be fixed.
Scenes on the bottom (names fetched from the Axe), presets accessible through a Presets button (which actually is "Song Menu"), IA Mode reveals other IAs at the bottom, etc.

Works quite like the old system, with benefits. Just have to get used to the "scenes=presets" paradigm.

IMG_1755.JPG

Last edited:
Loving the beta! I have an issue though. For some reason the Button 7 "Drive 1" isnt working as expected? I have to press it several times to get it to turn on or off? MMGT16 Any Help would be greatly appreciated?

Dave

Ok redid everything and I could get it to kinda work. The songs page becomes the presets page. Only thing not working with this setup is that on subsequent pages, you can’t mess with the bottom row. I think it was more flexible before on the II. I could gig with this but it would be a big change.

Guys, as I mentioned to Ron in another thread, the Scenes-to-Presets thing is growing on me.
You might want to give it a chance.

Here's my experimental GT layout, based on it. And it works fine, aside from a few bugs which will be fixed.
Scenes on the bottom (names fetched from the Axe), presets accessible through a Presets button (which actually is "Song Menu"), IA Mode reveals other IAs at the bottom, etc.

Works quite like the old system, with benefits. Just have to get used to the "scenes=presets" paradigm.

View attachment 967

Last edited:
My vote goes to Static. Scene names will probably change infrequently enough that there's no reason to constantly tax and lag the system every time you load a preset.

Also, would it be possible to have dedicated Scene buttons that record Scene names from the Axe-Fx III, separate from the Patch buttons? My main page has 5 Preset buttons and 8 Scene buttons. I'd love to be able to get names for all of them

Warning: in MIDI Settings do not change the MIDI Rx Channel (off by default). When you change it to channel 1, unexpected things start to happen.

This does mean that the GT doesn't adhere to preset switching on the III itself.

I have set up the GT using the "Get Scenes" approach.

Switching from the GT WORKS FINE. Bidirectional MIDI works for tuner and tempo, but not for making the GT adhere to changes on the III (PCs and CCs). To enable that, "Send PC" on the III must be turned on, as well as MIDI Receive Channel on the GT. But as mentioned above, this creates some kind of MIDI loop.

@Ron, is there a way to make the GT "listen" to preset changes on the III itself, without issues?

Last edited:
Is it correct that enabling "Get Scenes" limits the number of accessible presets on the III to 0-127? That would be a serious limitation of usability.

Last edited:
BUG REPORT

In the "Get Scenes" approach, the Preset Menu is changed into a Scenes menu. After selecting a scene from that menu, the main display sometimes only shows the scene, and not the preset+scene. This is not constant behavior though.

Last edited:
Only thing not working with this setup is that on subsequent pages, you can’t mess with the bottom row. I think it was more flexible before on the II. I could gig with this but it would be a big change.

Hasn't it always been like that? To disable that, unmark the buttons on the bottom row as "global".

BUG REPORT / WISHES

The "Get Scenes" number is used to populate the Preset/Scene buttons. If you select "6", the GT only fetches the first 6 scenes. But at times we'll want to access scene 7 or 8, through other dedicated buttons. The GT won't show the names of scenes 7 and 8, alas. Even worse, the buttons are empty. Also, pressing the Preset Menu (which should show all scenes IMO) only shows scenes 1-6.

Wish #1: When using "Get Scenes" to populate the Preset/Scenes buttons, also retrieve and store the remaining scene names.

Wish #2: Make the Preset Menu show all scenes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back