MASTERMIND GT 4.1beta1 FIRMWARE/EDITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to Ron a couple of weeks ago and he said we need to Connect Cables to both Midi In and Midi Out for full Compatability. I ordered this and a Cable.
https://shop.rjmmusic.com/phantom-power-adapter-xlr6f-two-inputs/
That power adapter is out of stock. There is no photo AND it has two XLR6F connectors that have nothing to do with a Fractal Axe-FX. It looks like that would be for a Kemper (I'm guessing, since there is no photo).

This might sound like a dumb question but here it goes. Did you go into the MMGT22 settings and pick the AXE FX III?
Yes. I have the latest firmware, picked the Axe-FX III, as shown in the video, loaded the "set default buttons" and "set default pedal". Nothing works and the program change buttons no longer light up or send program changes. The pedal is basically dead, other than the other pretty lights. It does not send or receive anything.

46614CEC-0235-496B-A73F-1CFAB3AD9E26.jpeg 754ADF83-16BB-44B9-8E5D-3AADE624D535.jpeg 9A32B982-54B7-43B1-88D6-EADEB3D58709.jpeg
That power adapter is out of stock. There is no photo AND it has two XLR6F connectors that have nothing to do with a Fractal Axe-FX. It looks like that would be for a Kemper (I'm guessing, since there is no photo).
It’s a 5 Pin Midi In and 5 Pin Midi Out Device that connects to the Axe FX III.
Then you use RJM ‘s 7 Pin To XLR 6 Cable and that connects to to the MMGT22 MIDI Out(Last Photo).
It provides Power and Full Midi to the MMGT22 with 1 Cable.

Last edited:
O.k. I got it working. I had to do a factory reset on the GT22. Re-install the new GT22 firmware, use two MIDI cables, power the GT22 directly from the wall wart, etc.

Now, the GT22 is on the first preset, but the bottom row of buttons is for scenes. How do I get it to show presets? It used to show presets, but after the factory reset, I have no idea how to set it back up to where I can see prests. I'm sure someone knows how to do this, right?

O.k. I got it working. I had to do a factory reset on the GT22. Re-install the new GT22 firmware, use two MIDI cables, power the GT22 directly from the wall wart, etc.

Now, the GT22 is on the first preset, but the bottom row of buttons is for scenes. How do I get it to show presets? It used to show presets, but after the factory reset, I have no idea how to set it back up to where I can see prests. I'm sure someone knows how to do this, right?

use the editor and configure the buttons however you want now.

View attachment 959 View attachment 960 View attachment 961
It’s a 5 Pin Midi In and 5 Pin Midi Out Device that connects to the Axe FX III.
Then you use RJM ‘s 7 Pin To XLR 6 Cable and that connects to to the MMGT22 MIDI Out(Last Photo).
It provides Power and Full Midi to the MMGT22 with 1 Cable.
You have that working right now with an Axe-FX III? Is there really no way to use my previous 5-pin to 7-pin MIDI setup with the wall wart plugging into that and running a 7-pin MIDI cable to the GT22? I had that working before with the Axe-FX II. Did they get rid of bi-directional MID on the Axe-FX III?

You have that working right now with an Axe-FX III? Is there really no way to use my previous 5-pin to 7-pin MIDI setup with the wall wart plugging into that and running a 7-pin MIDI cable to the GT22? I had that working before with the Axe-FX II. Did they get rid of bi-directional MID on the Axe-FX III?
According to Ron we need to use both Midi In and Midi Out On The AXE FX III for full Bi-Directional compatibility. I’m about to Update my MMGT22 now and start setting it up. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I updated everything something’s are working(Tuner-Tempo,etc..) others not so much. Tried Getting Preset names numerous times doesn’t work. When I select Bank Up or Down and I get a Black Screen on the Main Screen. Thank god I made a Back-Up of My Axe FX ll.

On my setup, it looks like "get presets" loaded a bunch of the scenes into the preset slots. What should be the presets on the bottom row are all scenes. It doesn't look like there is any way to switch presets. The bottom row buttons just switch the scenes within the first preset.

Also, I am really interested in how to get the MMGT22 powered and have bi-directional MIDI with just one cable. Previously I did this with a 5-pin MIDI to 7-pin MIDI (with power input) that connected with one 7-pin MIDI cable to the MMGT22. Is that still possible? Which inputs/outputs do I use on each end? None of it seemed to work the way I had it previously hooked up. I need someone to double check me and walk me back through the specific connections and settings again.

Guys, realize that this is BETA firmware.

Ron shows in the video how to do a successful update.
  • Use 2 MIDI cables.
  • Do a full factory reset.
  • Add the III as device. Note: replace the Effect Gizmo with the Axe-Fx III. Do not delete the Effect Gizmo and then add the Axe-Fx III, because that will result in non-functional Preset buttons, for some reason, until Get Preset Names is executed.
  • Make sure that Realtime SysEx is enabled on the III.
  • Make sure that Program Change is enabled in MIDI/Remote on the III.
  • Execute Get Preset Names.
The ways buttons are assigned during setup is just a starting point. Bank Up and Down let you change presets, and that works.

As mentioned earlier in this thread Get Preset Names > Get Scenes option makes some deep changes in the system, partly buggy. To avoid having scenes on the bottom rows instead of presets as well as some other issues, keep the Get Scenes button DISABLED during setup. But be aware that this will not let you see scene names etc.

Last edited:
Guys, realize that this is BETA firmware.

Ron shows in the video how to do a successful update. Use 2 MIDI cables. Do a full factory reset. Make sure that Realtime SysEx is enabled on the III.

The ways buttons are assigned during setup is just a starting point. Bank Up and Down let you change presets, and that works.

As mentioned earlier in this thread there seems to be a bug with certain other preset selection methods.

To avoid having scenes on the bottom rows, keep the Get Scenes button disabled during setup.
Thanks! I was able to make vast progress from you reply. My next quest is to figure out how to switch between presets (shown on the bottom row) and their scenes. I'm sure all this is possible. I just don't know how to do it yet.

Thanks! I was able to make vast progress from you reply. My next quest is to figure out how to switch between presets (shown on the bottom row) and their scenes. I'm sure all this is possible. I just don't know how to do it yet.

When you've setup the GT without selecting Get Scenes, you get an empty GT page with just presets on the bottom row.
You have to manually assign buttons to scenes. There are more than one option to choose from. Let's do a simple one on the hardware. Go into Setup, select Edit Devices, choose Axe-Fx III, select Assign Buttons, choose Scene 1, assign to a switch (not being the bottom row) and exit the menus. You now have a Scene 1 button. Do the same with other buttons. In the software editor this is accomplished by right-clicking and selecting CCs > Axe-Fx.

Another way to accomplish this with more control (but not recommended): Setup > Edit Buttons > press button > Type = IA, Button Action > Add Action, select and delete the existing function, Add Action > Select CC > select a function, exit the menus. However, with this method you'll miss out on some neat features such as the Channel Select mechanism.

You can also assign scenes to to the bottom row. Either as HOLD buttons or as "IA" buttons which become visible after pressing the IA Mode button (you have to assign a separate button to "IA Mode").

Last edited:
I've noticed that the new "Channel Select" feature on IA buttons is realized through the GT's "IA Cycle/Steps" action.

Works great.

Things to keep in mind:
  1. As soon as you switch scenes on the III itself, the GT Channel Select feature loses sync. Which is understandable.
  2. IA Cycle takes time to setup. It's a whole lot easier to have the GT do it for you automatically by assigning buttons (when possible) through Setup > Edit Devices > Assign Buttons. Instead of manually configuring each button through Setup > Edit Buttons.
  3. There's a bug in combination with Setup > Reverse Menus, see the post below.

Last edited:
REQUEST:

Ron,
  1. Will it become possible for the GT to dynamically download scene names from the III, just like it does with preset names when Sync Names is switched on?

Currently the Setup > Get Scenes feature does this, but it comes with issues. It would be great if the GT were able to dynamically import scene names instead, and display these automatically on all "Scene" buttons (IAs / IA Mode / Hold).

2. When Get Scenes is not executed, the main display shows only the preset name. Is there an alternative option to enable Preset+Scene on the main display, without going through Get Preset Names > Get Scenes?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back