USING THE GT WITH AN AXE-FX I or II

Possible display bug:

I've programmed the top-left button as a Scene Up button: IA (type: "CC Momentary"), action is set to the correct CC, and Momentary is set to ON.
The button also has a HOLD function assigned.

Bug: the switch functionality works fine. But the display stays lit (to be precise: the top half, because it's a hold switch).
It should turn off, because it's a momentary switch.

No matter what I try, I can't solve this. I think the display should light briefly on and off, when pressed.

Hello all,

I'm rather new to both the Axe-FX XL and the MMGT 16 and I have a problem that I'm hoping someone can guide me through to a happy resolution.
I've been configuring the MMGT and have managed to get it very close to where I would like it. It's a huge upgrade from my first generation Ground Control ;)

My issue relates to trying to alter buttons in IA Mode. If I change an IA button in IA Mode (page 1), it changes the button on page 1 in normal mode. This happens via hardware programming or via the editor. The following screenshot shows how I've configured Page 1:

MMScreen1_zps8tvmsoqs.png

Here is the underlying IA Mode layout:

MMIAMode_zpsaprcipto.png

If I change any of the Scene buttons to something else, the change will also have an effect upon the Page 1 layer in 'normal' mode. Here is a change to the lower "Scene 1" so that it is now "Drive 1" (not just the name, but the correct CCs):

MMIAModePostEdit_zpswx3bfmdz.png

As can be seen here, the 'normal' layer also changes and this isn't what I desire:

MMPage1PostEdit_zpsp9bingev.png

Why does this happen? I can't edit the "Scene x" buttons in the IA Mode layer without disturbing the "Page 1 'normal'" layer. What am I doing wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a screenshot of how the button is edited:
MMIAEditPostEdit_zps6rrbdqos.png

Last edited:
If you are referring to being in IA Mode, than I am doing so. If I've misunderstood, could you kindly point out where that feature lies?

I think the IA Mode checkbox just shows the different state but does not impact editing. To change it look at your last screenshot then in the general settings area there is a drop down that says button mode: normal... I believe you change it from normal to something else, just not sure of value off top of my head.

Cheers

Hi, welcome to the forum! I can hopefully shed some light on things...

IA mode does exactly one thing - it turns a button that is not an IA button into an IA button. You'll notice that any button that's not an IA will have two groups of settings: Normal Mode and IA mode. This applies to preset buttons, bank up and down, etc. This kind of button will display its normal function until you turn on IA Mode, then it will change to its IA mode settings.

If a button's type is IA, it will always be an IA button in normal mode and IA mode. Furthermore, it will have the same exact settings in both modes.

So, that's a long way of saying that you can't get it to do what you want using IA Mode.

However, you can definitely get it to work using button pages. Each button page can have completely different buttons with completely different settings, with none of the limitations of IA mode.

To set it up: Edit button page 2, copy all the buttons from button page 1 (right click on one of the buttons, and Copy From Page will be displayed in the drop down menu). Then change the buttons on page 2 as you like to customize them. Use the Page / Store button to change form page 1 to page 2 instead of using IA mode. You can change the IA mode button to something else if you like.

I hope this makes sense! Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the welcome and explanation, Ron. It totally makes sense and appears to be the missing piece of the puzzle in the mental gymnastics I was working on. I'll give it a shot and see what I can do. I think that I'll just use Local Pages so that each preset has a customised page 16.

Thanks for the support!

jjozwia said:
I think the IA Mode checkbox just shows the different state but does not impact editing. To change it look at your last screenshot then in the general settings area there is a drop down that says button mode: normal... I believe you change it from normal to something else, just not sure of value off top of my head.

Cheers

Thanks for this. I had, indeed, been editing it properly. I missed showing that on the screenshot and it was critical information. I appreciate your efforts.

I'm curious as to whether there is a way to have a single button on the 'Main' page jump to a dedicated 'Looper' page. This is similar to what we currently have with Page 16 and Presets on the MMGT.

I don't wish to add another page to my setup as that would require I change my methodology of toggling between an IA Mode and 2 pages. I have one "Page Up" button on my main page and this gets me out of Page 16 as well as allowing me to toggle between pages 1 & 2. I'd have to change my Main Page layout if I added another page as I only wish to be one stomp away from a desired page that isn't currently active. Obviously, it isn't the end of the world if the answer is akin to: "Sorry, use another page, Sweetheart."

hi kent :)

i haven't been using the MMGT for a few weeks, so i might be wrong with this.

but if you create a switch with type IA, in the Actions setup (lower portion in the Editor), create a new Action with the Type of "System." typically you'd put a CC Toggle type there for controlling the Axe or something.

one of the Subtypes is Page, and you can put the Page number there. i believe this will jump to a specific button page.

maybe you can make it a "hold" type of switch or a "cycle" type to jump on and off of that Looper page you'd create.

lemme know if that works so i can try to remember that for the future.

Hi all. I'm a new member here as well as owner of a Mastermind GT 22. I must say, this controller is very cool and quite user intuitive. I have a question about using it with scenes in the AxeFx II XL+. Is it possible to toggle between 2 different scenes with a single switch. Like the way you can between presets? Thanks.

Yes, set up an IA button and add an action to it that's CC Toggle type. CC number should be 34. Then, set the on value and off value to be the desired scene minus one. If you want it to switch between scenes 1 and 2, for example, set off value to 0 and on value to 1.

Small problem.....I have MMGT22....everything updated........just got a AXE-FX II XL+......latest Quantum firmware.........just got everything between the two to sync correctly.......all the AXE presets copied over correctly.......but.........

TUNER button on MMGT22.....when I press that all I get on the MM screen is a > ? < (question mark between the 2 arrows) and it does not recognize the signal from the guitar....the tuner screen on the AXE itself is working correctly at this time (when I step on TUNER button it is bringing up the tuner on the AXE correctly.....just not on the MM screen)

what am I doing wrong here?

Look at the Axe-Fx settings on the I/O / MIDI page - look for "Send Realtime Sysex" and make sure it's set to "All"

Hmmm... and all the other features work? You said you could download preset names, do the IA buttons change state correctly when you load presets?

yes....as far as I can tell everything else changed correctly and all the presets and pages are correct....all the IA buttons seem to be correct..............just the tuner..........and when I push the TUNER button on the GT it causes the AXE itself to GO to tuner.....just not on the GT screen........it's a questions mark between the arrows on the screen.....seems odd

Back